Realtor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 35 votes
Anybody know any good tax consultants in Columbia SC? This will be my first year filing taxes with my property so I want to make sure I get the most out of it. Please give me your recommendations. Thank in advance.
Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 84 posts · 46 votes
8y
I’m looking at using someone out of town for better expertise. I haven’t decided yet but you can check out Brandon hall or Nick Aiola they are both active on BP
Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 84 posts · 46 votes
8y
I’m looking at using someone out of town for better expertise. I haven’t decided yet but you can check out Brandon hall or Nick Aiola they are both active on BP
Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 978 votes
8y
@Jonathan Perez, I suggest that you contact your local real estate investors association for recommendations or contact some of the tax accountants on this site. Send me a message for some recommendations. Good luck and let me know if I can be of assistance.
1. Biggerpockets search function - Use the search function to see if a BP colleague requested a CPA in your area. This method allows you to reach out to the BP colleague and ask who they interviewed with, who they decided to go with and if they like working with their CPA. Below are posts from BP colleagues who requested a CPA in your area.
You may want to send a message to the thread starter of the above links.
“Hi _____,
I noticed that you recently requested to connect with a CPA in _______. I am currently in the market for a CPA and I would like to inquire who you ended up choosing. Thank you for connecting and let me know if there is anyway that I can help.Thanks,______
2. Keyword Alerts - Add the keyword alerts "South Carolina" and/or "Columbia". You will notice that there are certain members frequently respond to posts that have these keywords. Send a message to these members and see who they use as a CPA. Connecting with members who have a pro membership have a higher tendency so be more serious and provide you a good recommendation.
3. Real Estate Networking Events - These events contain investors with similar tax profiles as you. Network and see who they are using for a CPA. You can find local networking events through the BP events section or meetup.com
4. Reach out to CPA who works with clients remotely - You may want to reach out to a CPA that works with clients remotely. Working with a remote CPA who has experience in real estate is better than working with a local CPA who does not serve real estate investors. Technology advancements such as email, phone calls, skype has enabled communication with a remote CPA to be seamless. There are many CPA's on this site that work with clients remotely.
In the meantime - feel free to ask any tax related question. I would be more than happy to help give my opinion.
Real Estate Investor · Lexington, SC · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 8 votes
8y
I was recently referred to Wayne Corley in Lexington. I had a meeting with him and he's been very responsive through email when I have questions. He gave me some good guidance on the tax side on setting up an LLC structure to limit liability and not have to file taxes on a lot of separate LLCs. He also owns rental properties so he understands what investors are trying to do.