Vetting a self-directed IRA custodian

4 Replies

Hello, I have someone interested in purchasing some real estate with me, purely as an investor. They will need to do it by rolling into a self-directed IRA to avoid any tax consequences of pulling from their 401k.

I also have some funds I was going to contribute to a self-directed IRA to do the same.

I am having a very hard time finding a good company to work with. It seems that a majority have questionable reviews. Can anybody help provide who they have used and if it has been a positive or negative experience?

@Chase Gochnauer

Check the websites most willl have a”due diligence” page for your review. There are many on bigger pockets. Feel free to PM me for any details on how to choose. 

@Chase Gochnauer , I will echo what was said above, but from the 'user end' of things. I have both a SDIRA and SOLO410K, through 2 different providers that I found here on BP. 

I would recommend calling a few/several that are frequent contributes here on BP such as @Dmitriy Fomichenko (who I used) @Brian Eastman @Carl Fischer and others (you can tell from their 'signatures' who they are) and see who is the best fit. I talked to several and they ALL seemed very qualified and I talked to references from ALL of them. I did not have the same feel when I called a few of the 'big boys' out there that lacked the personal connection.

I have not regretted my choice for a minute of supporting a company that in turn 'supports' the BP Forums with their advice and knowledge. 

If you have any direct questions, feel free to PM me.

Dan Dietz