Breaking FHA rules.

112 Replies

I think your best bet is to owner occupy for a year. You can rent or airbnb your other house.  Or GF can stay in it. 

Also, if you are a plumber you make decent money. Stop spending on frivolus things and start saving. If you desire to invest in RE it takes money. It really is amazing how fast you can save if you have the will to do it :)

I recommend AirBnB of your current home for a year or you could rent it out on a year lease. Since it’s your primary, I would make sure

you do an extensive background check on them.

I hear you on your GF probably not being on board with it, though. I’ve considered doing the same thing, but I know my wife wouldn’t go for it, so I never brought it up.

@Account Closed get another job. Open you own business. Do something.

You don't seem like a problem solver to me and that is what it actually takes to get involved in REI not the 20% of a "nice place" or 100% of a turd.

Figure out how to make more money, legally, that seems to be your issue.

@Account Closed . Even if your not able to save up the 20% you can always see if the owner wants to owner finance it to you. Most of the owners are used to receiving payments so getting payments with no phone calls is good for a lot of owners. You need to find the property and see what options fit. If it’s a good deal you can find the financing. Might not be great interest rates but it will still get u in the game. I understand you asking what if this and that. It’s always good to ask questions but best bet if there’s a law against it you shouldn’t do it. Good luck

@Mary M. thanks for your tip. However, your assumption if me spending in frivolous things is unfounded. I work 40 hours a week for a plumbing company and do side jobs on many nights and weekends (to the point where it's alienated my friends). My house is 880 square feet, my car is a used 08 aveo that has manual crank up windows and manual locks and a gaping hole in the bumper. I rarely ever eat out. I quit alcohol 2 years ago. I quit cigarettes 8 years ago. I'm not even tempted to but frivolous things. It still would take me a long time to build up 20% of something in my area. So my options at this point are things like hard money, partners, seller financing, FHA, etc

@Earl Hatmaker Once again, I work a lot. And I don't do anything illegal. I was asking about a hypothetical situation that a successful investor floated to me to see if breaking that rule was a big deal, and found that it is. So I have no interest in doing it. I'm doing a bunch of things to try to solve a problem including this post, where I ask about a potential solution. So I don't think I've indicated to you that I'm not a problem solver

Account Closed I wasnt assuming anything, sorry if it came off that way. I was just suggesting paths towards your goals good luck :)