Who gets the tax benefits in a land contract?

Who gets the tax benefits in a land contract?

Real Estate Investor · Lima, OH · Member since 2011 · 26 posts · 1 vote

I'm currently in the process of purchasing my business. I'm also purchasing the building on a land contract. My question is when it comes to taxes, who gets the tax benefits of depreciation, etc? The seller or me? We have agreed to a price and now our attorneys are just going through the language of the contracts. I just want to make sure I don't need to have any specific questions to ask my attorney at our next meeeting.

0Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
14y

The IRS consideres a land contract as a transfer of ownership. The buyer gets the same tax benefits as if they bought it with an ordinary loan.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    14y

    The IRS consideres a land contract as a transfer of ownership. The buyer gets the same tax benefits as if they bought it with an ordinary loan.

  • Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 916 posts · 296 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Jon Holdman:
    The IRS consideres a land contract as a transfer of ownership. The buyer gets the same tax benefits as if they bought it with an ordinary loan.

    Does this apply to owner's financing or subject to also?

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    14y

    I assume you mean straight owner financing or owner financing with a wrap. Yes, both of those and a subject to would all transfer ownership, so would transfer the tax benefits. Lease/option does not, because it does not transfer ownership.

    Not a CPA. Consult your CPA. Don't have one and trying to do this sort of transaction? Don't do it. Get a CPA.

  • Investor · Union, NJ · Member since 2011 · 838 posts · 295 votes
    14y

    Jon,

    I Recently closed on a Contract for deed here in NJ and I received the same information that you are saying. Although I still hold legal title to the property the buyer (vendee) I believe, will still get the tax benefits - depreciation, interest deduction, expense write offs as long as he is actually paying for them.

    regards,
    Chris

  • Real Estate Investor · Northeast TN, TN · Member since 2008 · 516 posts · 361 votes
    14y

    Jon is correct on all counts. The IRS considers the land contract (AKA contract for deed), wrap, sub2, and just "plain ol' owner financing" to transfer ownership. With that ownership comes the tax benefits.

    And his advice to run this by your tax pro is spot on!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Lima, OH · Member since 2011 · 26 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    Thanks for you help guys. I do have my attorney drawing up all the documents and then I am speaking with my CPA this weekend. I just wanted to have a leg to stand on when I speak with them and not be completely in the dark.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.