How long until I can 1031 my primary residence-turned-rental?

How long until I can 1031 my primary residence-turned-rental?

Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 952 posts · 1k+ votes

Hi all,

I’m buying a new house. If I keep my existing home as a rental, how long must I hold onto it until I can sell it and use the profits in a 1031 exchange?

Thanks!

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Jon Schwartz:

Hi all,

I’m buying a new house. If I keep my existing home as a rental, how long must I hold onto it until I can sell it and use the profits in a 1031 exchange?

Thanks!

 If your gain is less than 250k or 500k married there is no point in doing 1031 exchange. If you do 1031 exchange in anything next three years after you move out, section 121 would wipe out your gain, so there’s is no gain to defer with 1031. You would just be wasting time and money coordinating 1031.

Sec 121 will be applied first before 1031. 

Just sell it with in 3 years and buy another property with the tax free gain. 

You will have small tax with depreciation recapture. 

INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Google "Rev Proc 2008-16"

    Good starting point for you and your CPA.

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Jon Schwartz

    No specific period. Long enough to be able to claim with a straight face (and defend this claim if challenged) that you had an expectation of investment profits from renting your former house. 

    Depends on your comfort level and that of your accountant and your 1031 intermediary. 

    Need a rule of thumb? They are risky, but 1 full year of renting at fair market value is likely to suffice.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    @Jon Schwartz

    If you sell within 3 years it’s tax free. I don’t see the advantage of waiting a year so that you can then 1031 exchange and only delay the taxes instead of eliminating them. Unless, I guess, if you have more than $250k as a single or $500k as a married couple in gains and want to 1031 the gains over that amount?

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 952 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Thanks, all!

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jon Schwartz:

    Hi all,

    I’m buying a new house. If I keep my existing home as a rental, how long must I hold onto it until I can sell it and use the profits in a 1031 exchange?

    Thanks!

     If your gain is less than 250k or 500k married there is no point in doing 1031 exchange. If you do 1031 exchange in anything next three years after you move out, section 121 would wipe out your gain, so there’s is no gain to defer with 1031. You would just be wasting time and money coordinating 1031.

    Sec 121 will be applied first before 1031. 

    Just sell it with in 3 years and buy another property with the tax free gain. 

    You will have small tax with depreciation recapture. 

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.