Looking for a Buy and Hold Real Estate CPA

Looking for a Buy and Hold Real Estate CPA

Rental Property Investor · S. Florida · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 8 votes

Good evening Bigger pockets!

I'm aiming to close on my first deal in Dayton, OH at the end of this month! It's a 4 unit multi family and I think I may have put the cart before the horse! So I'm looking to get some professionals around me. I'm already speaking to a real estate attorney and setting up an LLC, I'm also looking to get a CPA that can direct me not just during tax season, but how to best do tax advantageous purchases through out the year.

If anyone has any recommendations on a investor friendly CPA in OH I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

1Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael PlaksPro Member
Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
7y

@Felipe Cortinas

You cannot really "buy and hold real estate CPA" but you can rent a good one. :)

To find a local one, you can a) ask your attorney b) join a local REI club and ask there and c) ask in the Ohio Forum here on BP. 

Also, unlike with an attorney, your CPA does not have to be local. You can find 20+ expert accountants on this forum. Most of us work remotely nationwide.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Felipe Cortinas

    You cannot really "buy and hold real estate CPA" but you can rent a good one. :)

    To find a local one, you can a) ask your attorney b) join a local REI club and ask there and c) ask in the Ohio Forum here on BP. 

    Also, unlike with an attorney, your CPA does not have to be local. You can find 20+ expert accountants on this forum. Most of us work remotely nationwide.

  • Rental Property Investor · S. Florida · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Michael Plaks Lol, thanks for the clarification Michael I don't want anyone here on BP thinking I'm trying to bring back CPA slavery ;).

    I was only asking for a local to OH CPA, thinking that they would be better versed in any Oh specific rules and Regulations, but I suppose it makes sense to go nationwide since it's primarily Federal tax's that I'm concerned with.

  • Lender · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2017 · 283 posts · 255 votes
    7y

    Check out @Brandon Hall The Real Estate CPA - he and the firm specialize in real estate and they are all investors. He’s nationwide. 

  • Accountant · NH · Member since 2019 · 269 posts · 288 votes
    7y

    As Michael noted - nearly all CPAs on this forum work with clients nationwide, remotely, and paperlessly. I wouldn't worry too much about getting an OH specific CPA - very rarely do states have some kind of "in" for the local professionals. An accountant who does work across the country would certainly be enough of a professional to determine and communicate any state specific issues. I am based in NH and have worked with businesses and investors across the country with no issue and be able to provide high levels of service - I am confident most of the CPAs putting themselves out there on BP could do the same.

    Locally - a REI group is fantastic, other members can certainly point you in the right direction for their service providers of choice. I know the two that I attend regularly are great resources for exactly these types of things.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.