CPA Certification and/or accreditation

6 Replies

I am not necessarily asking for a specific referral but are there certain certifications or accreditation’s that CPA’s can get that I should look for before deciding?

Based on Real Estate Investing.

@Mike Kratz

Yes, they should be Certified Public Accountants.  ; )

I'm assuming you're asking about tax CPAs and not auditors or managerial accountants?  What a CPA can do is pretty broad and there are many niches, and niches within those niches.

The most important thing is making sure they are very comfortable and familiar with tax law as it relates to real estate, understand entity structuring, and can execute well.

Best of luck.

Originally posted by @Mike Kratz :

I am not necessarily asking for a specific referral but are there certain certifications or accreditation’s that CPA’s can get that I should look for before deciding?

Based on Real Estate Investing.

Mike,

I have a thread here of questions to ask an accountant: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

@Mike Kratz

There are so many accounting related credentials, its somewhat astounding. Please see the list below for a few examples: 

Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Certified Financial Analyst (CFA)
Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
Enrolled Agent (EA)
Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
Certified Government Auditing Professional (CGAP)
Certified Bank Auditor (CBA)

I agree with @Eamonn McElroy that the CPA designation is among the prestigious of the accounting credentials and there is no specific accounting credential for the real estate industry. However, working with an accountant with the CPA credential is only one piece of the pie. Your accountant should also be knowledgeable on real estate taxation, well experienced and be able to see the "Big Picture" to help you strategize and reduce your tax liability. 

@Mike Kratz  Assuming they are a CPA, I would be more focused on their experience and client base. There are a lot of people out there with a lot of certifications and letters behind their name but don't necessarily have a lot of experience. I think you would be better served finding someone who has a lot of real estate clients and knows the industry. Even better - find a CPA who is also an investor.