Claiming tax-returns or exemptions on home repairs?

Claiming tax-returns or exemptions on home repairs?

Orchard Park, NY · Member since 2012 · 82 posts · 1 vote

How would such a thing work? I've heard that if you make repairs to the property that you can claim exemptions on taxes and get the a percentage of the repairs back come tax season?

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
13y

My strong recommendation is that you work with your CPA to sort this out. I do that even for my rentals. When you have an owner occupied multiplex, it gets even more complex. But yes, I believe that is correct. If you make repairs to your unit, you cannot deduct those. If you make the same repair to one of the rental units, you can deduct those.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    Your residence? No. Repairs are not deductible. Capital improvements add onto your basis, decreasing your gain when you sell.

    Rentals? Yes, Repairs are deductible. Capital improvements add onto your basis for a rental, too. That increases your depreciation. Capital improvements increase your basis, depreciation reduces it, so, there is an effect on gains when you sell, but hard to say exactly what that is without knowing exact numbers. An exception is that if you buy a property and have to make repairs to get it rent ready, those add to your basis, too, rather than being immediately deductible.

  • Orchard Park, NY · Member since 2012 · 82 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    For repairs, are you saying that MY apartment in the triplex cannot be reimbursed with tax deductions, but repairs made to the other 2 apts can be?

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    My strong recommendation is that you work with your CPA to sort this out. I do that even for my rentals. When you have an owner occupied multiplex, it gets even more complex. But yes, I believe that is correct. If you make repairs to your unit, you cannot deduct those. If you make the same repair to one of the rental units, you can deduct those.

  • Orchard Park, NY · Member since 2012 · 82 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    So a cpa will know all this stuff then? Thats great news... kinda. Because I have a good cpa.

    I just like to have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into, and am a firm disbeliever in "oh, NOW you tell me".

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    @Jon holdman is right on the money.

  • Orchard Park, NY · Member since 2012 · 82 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Well I took your guys advice and spoke w/ my CPA on this, and he said that he knows all this good stuff and is willing to work with me on it... so thats one less thing I need to deal with. Just have to make sure I keep all receipts.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.