• Lexington, VA 24450
Votes |
Finding out if my CPA is the right fit

Ryan Braman
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lexington, VA 24450
Posted Jun 25 2020, 11:19

Any advice on what types of questions to ask my accountant to determine if they're the right fit for my REI business? Just started investing late 2019, I own a couple of properties under a LLC, and asked him if I needed to do anything specific/different due to my status as a real estate investor / property manager and his response was to 'just keep track of expenses.'

In fairness, it was a generic question so I should have expected a generic response..I've since read the Book on Tax Strategies, and I feel like there was some additional things that I could have been doing..not necessarily the CPA's fault for not knowing/offering the same info to me, but I can't afford to leave any money on the table here.

The only reason I'm asking the hivemind is I want to tread lightly because I respect this guy; he reached out to me and gave me an hour of his time when my wife passed to help me get stuff straightened out..but I also want to feel confident that he's going to be giving me recommendations tailored to my situation.

I was just thinking of asking if he knew about self-directed IRAs as a kind of litmus test..anybody else have any non-confrontational questions that I could use to see if I should still use him?

Loading replies...