• Investor
  • Caledonia, NY
Votes |
Seller's agent shared buyer's inspection report without consent

Tara Piantanida-Kelly
  • Investor
  • Caledonia, NY
Posted Nov 2 2020, 02:34

We are the buyers in a 4-property multi-family deal.  The property inspector we usually use wasn't available. The seller's agent/listing agent recommended someone she's used before, and we agreed to hire him for the job. He requested/demanded full payment ($1,500) before the reports were delivered. We complied (that's on us) and paid him $1,500 on Monday, October 26. He delivered four reports on Monday, October 26 - to the seller's agent. By Wednesday, we still hadn't seen any reports, so we asked about them. The seller's agent then forwarded the reports to me on Wednesday afternoon. The email she forwarded to me shows that she sent the reports to her client, the seller, as soon as she received them on Monday. 

She shouldn't have received the reports at all, and we called the property inspector about it. The property inspector said something about thinking that the seller's agent was representing us, and he apologized. On a scale of inappropriate to unethical to illegal, 1) where does the property inspector fall on sending the reports to the seller's agent and 2) where does the seller's agent fall on sharing our inspection reports with her client without our consent? 

I really just want to know what kind of leverage it gives us in renegotiating the deal. (The inspection reports showed some things that need addressing immediately.)  What would you do? Seller's concessions? Ask the seller to cover the cost of the four appraisals (about $1400) to compensate? I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Loading replies...