Seeking Tax Professional

5 Replies

I am a newer investor seeking a tax professional with REI experience.

In case it's relevant, my property is in CT and I live in WV. Not in an LLC currently.

Cost basis will need to be established.

I am looking to interview and hire someone within the next couple of weeks.

Thank you @Michael Noto .  I consulted with Ted and while he was great, he did not offer to take me on as a client and referred me to someone else.  I interviewed that person; am interviewing another tomorrow; and, am looking for at least one more tax professional to speak to before I hire someone.

Hi Charlie, if you are looking for someone local I have had good experience with Doug Full from Full & Hupp CPAs.  He isn't exclusively real estate but competently handled my taxes for a few years.  I'm not certain of what will be required for your taxes since the property is in a different state, and I'm not certain if he is qualified for what you need but worth checking on if you prefer a local CPA.  A larger firm that likely has a qualified professional is Rea & Associates in Marietta.  Hope these two options help

@Charlie Magnan

You have a property outside of the state where you live in. 
You want a CPA who understands real estate taxation and multi-state taxation.

There are a couple of CPA's on this messageboard. Feel free to reach out to a few and see who is a good fit for you.


I recommend finding an accountant who specializes in real estate taxation over one that is local. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist who is willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant that can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.