Classifieds

User Stats

Votes
Edwin Carcedo
Votes |
Need CPA for Bonus Depreciation

Edwin Carcedo
Posted Apr 20 2024, 07:43

Hello BP community, I have multiple properties that I short term rent, I am also in the 32% tax rate for my W2, so I am looking for an investor friendly CPA who can help me with bonus depreciation and the STR loophole. I did a Cost Seg study on three of my properties to take advantage of accelerated depreciation.

If anyone knows a good CPA who would be able to help with this, please let me know.

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
#5 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 20 2024, 13:07

If the short-term rentals are treated as active, it will allow you to utilize the loss and offset it against other forms of income such as W-2 wages, interest, dividends, etc

A cost segregation study looks at a property and identifies components of the house that may be eligible for faster depreciation. It wll identify assets that the IRS classifies as 5 year, 7 year or 15 year life.
These items are eligible for bonus depreciation and a faster writeoff than the standard 39 years for short term rentals.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
Tax & Financial Services
#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Apr 21 2024, 11:11

Hey Edwin, 

It is against the BP rules to promote ourselves directly.

In the realm of real estate investments, the short-term rental loophole offers a unique opportunity, subject, however, to certain rules and regulations. According to passive activity loss rules, every business is obligated to adhere to specific criteria, especially when it comes to short-term rentals. One crucial stipulation is that the property must be rented for 7 days or less on average. While this may exempt it from being classified as a rental activity, active participation remains a requirement, necessitating compliance with three tests: spending 500 hours on the property, dedicating at least 100 hours (and more than any other participant), and performing all the necessary work needed.

Additionally, long-term viability and consideration of depreciation recapture are important concerns. Excess business losses are capped for single individuals at $250,000 and for married individuals at $500,000, with any surplus being suspended and carried forward. Notably, short-term rentals are categorized as non-residential properties. If over 50% of guests stay on a transient basis, the property is subject to depreciation over 39 years. Bonus depreciation and Section 179 allowances for improvements can be utilized, with the latter, however, capped at zero to prevent negative losses. Determining whether the venture falls under a service or rental business hinges on the provision of substantial services; for instance, if a bed and breakfast service is offered, it must be reported on Schedule C, triggering a 15.3% self-employment tax.

Moreover, personal use plays a crucial role in the classification of the property. If used for 15 days or more or 10% of the rental days at fair market value, it becomes a residence, subject to specific regulations. The REPS-9 election prohibits grouping short-term and long-term rentals, emphasizing the need for careful strategic planning. Notably, personal visits for maintenance purposes do not contribute to personal use calculations. The involvement of onsite management, often seen as a potential red flag, can lead to the property failing crucial qualification tests. Understanding these rules is essential for investors seeking to capitalize on the short-term rental loophole while maintaining compliance with tax regulations.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.