How to Search the Marketplace - Updated!

How to Search the Marketplace - Updated!

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes

We've added some search features to the Marketplace, to help you zero in on what you are looking for. 

You can still search through ALL the listings, but if you know exactly what you are looking for, or simply want to filter out some listings, here's how:

From the Marketplace Forum, click Add a Filter.

A box pops up and gives you two choices: 

Listings that are promoting...   OR   Listings that are searching for...

As you add filters, more refined choices appear. You can click the "Add Search Filter" button at any point to search for a more broad range, or continue to add filters to narrow the search results.

In the photo below, I chose to search for Listings that are promoting properties, residential, Triplex. Once I click "Add Search Filter" my results will filter out everything that isn't a listing offering residential triplexes. 

You can make the listings as narrow or as wide as you would like - stop filtering after the first column (Properties) to get a complete list of all properties being offered on the Marketplace. Stop filtering after the second column (Residential) to get a list of all residential properties being offered on the Marketplace, or choose an option in each column to make the search results as focused as possible.

I hope this makes searching the site easier. Let me know if you have any questions!

55Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Dawn AnastasiPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y

I see there is a tab to search for properties.

How about searching for properties in a particular state?

See this reply in the discussion

63 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    I see there is a tab to search for properties.

    How about searching for properties in a particular state?

  • Podunk, WA · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    Thanks 

    Mindy Jensen for the great tips.

  • Investor · Brea, CA · Member since 2015 · 178 posts · 59 votes
    10y

    I would agree with Dawn, We need to set this up to search by Location. Otherwise it does not make sense. 

    Let's make that change @Brandon Turner =)

  • Harrison , NJ · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 23 votes
    10y

    I agree with the feedback above. I'm searching for a multi-family in NJ and would love to better utilize the marketplace. However- even with the filters- it still shows 300+ pages to sift through. 

    Searching via location would be CLUTCH in time saving and targeting search. Most people invest in their own backyards or have targeted areas for investment opportunities. 

    Thank you! This site always is improving!

  • Real Estate Investor · Saskatoon, Saskatchewan · Member since 2010 · 357 posts · 27 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Paige Clarke:

    I agree with the feedback above. I'm searching for a multi-family in NJ and would love to better utilize the marketplace. However- even with the filters- it still shows 300+ pages to sift through. 

    Searching via location would be CLUTCH in time saving and targeting search. Most people invest in their own backyards or have targeted areas for investment opportunities. 

    Thank you! This site always is improving!

     Searching via location will be great!

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    @Dawn Anastasi, @Rich Bravo, @Paige Clarke, @Soji Oyenuga

    Check it out!!!

    Filter by location is now added!

  • Harrison , NJ · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 23 votes
    10y

    Your awesome @Mindy Jensen! 

    Sorry if it was there along and I didn't know it. I definitely appreciate the image capture for instruction! 

    Thank you! 

    Paige 

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    @Paige Clarke, this is a new feature. 

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen:

    @Dawn Anastasi, @Rich Bravo, @Paige Clarke, @Soji Oyenuga

    Check it out!!!

    Filter by location is now added!

    Coolness.

  • Investor · Brea, CA · Member since 2015 · 178 posts · 59 votes
    10y

    NICE!!!! This will help out everyone a ton!!! Thank you!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Saskatoon, Saskatchewan · Member since 2010 · 357 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    Thanks Mindy.. this is awesome!

  • Minden, NV · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    thanks for such quick response to the needs of your members!!!

  • Lender · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2013 · 126 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    I am a private lender. How can I post an ad for my products, nationwide? Is there a filter for mortgages?

    Richard

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    Hi @Account Closed. 

    Ads are only allowed in the Marketplace. As a Pro member, you can post in the Marketplace, but there are limitations. You may post up to 2 times a day, and you may repost an ad once every 5 days. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Saskatoon, Saskatchewan · Member since 2010 · 357 posts · 27 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen:

    Hi @Account Closed. 

    Ads are only allowed in the Marketplace. As a Plus member, you can post in the Marketplace, but there are limitations. You may post up to 2 times a day, and you may repost an ad once every 5 days. 

     Hi Mindy, when you refer to repost an ad once every 5 days, what does the repost means? Is there a repost feature/link I can use to repost the original post or you mean i can post the same post afresh in the marketplace?

  • Princeton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hi Mindy,

    It seems that the filtering may not be working correctly. You'll see in the screen show below that I have a filter set to Want=>Education=>Mentor, but all the Want-related posts are showing up in the results list. See the first search result: "Want=>Financing . . . etc..

    Any guidance appreciated!

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    Hi @Ted Dansen. 

    The Marketplace is split into Haves or Wants. If you have something to offer, you post in the Have section, and if you are looking for something, you post in the Want section.

    When you are searching for things being offered, you should filter on Have, because you are looking for a listing that is offering something. 

  • Princeton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hi Mindy,

    Thanks for your response. In this case, I'm looking for posts (wants) about Mentoring. So I added the three-level filter "Want=>Education=>Mentor." I think this should limit the search results by all three of these categories and only show items/posts where users "want a mentor". 

    However, the results show all "Want" listings.  

    Hope that makes sense....

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    Ah. Thanks for clarifying, @Ted Dansen. Let me do some digging.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    Thanks for sharing this, @Ted Dansen. This is a bug, and we are working to repair it. In the meantime, this link will get you where you want to be.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/517-real-estate-marketplace?filter_marketplace_tags%5B%5D=77

  • Princeton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Great. Thank you!!

  • Wholesaler · Fayetteville AR · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    I can't get the save after choosing the filter choices.  It is nowhere to choose.  It scrolls down without changing.  I am using Firefox.  Is anyone else having this problem?

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    Hi @Debra Hellman. There isn't a Save option. It should be Add Search Filter. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Saskatoon, Saskatchewan · Member since 2010 · 357 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    The new look and functionality in BP is awesome.

    However I have a question; I cannot see the stats (# of views, # of users, # of posts) for my post in Market Place any more. Please help... 

  • Vendor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    I would love if you could create a list of saved filters.  My CRM does this.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.