• Rental Property Investor
  • Viera, FL
Votes |
The moving goal post

Erich Henson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Viera, FL
Posted May 28 2023, 09:37

When I was a young boy I was in awe of millionaires.  I never fathomed becoming one.  I became a millionaire (by net worth) five years ago at the age of 40.  After becoming a millionaire, I became somewhat disappointed.  A million dollars sure doesn't make me feel rich at all.  So, the other day I looked up an inflation calculator and asked it how much a million dollars in the year I was born (1976) would be worth today so that I could see if I was an actual millionaire compared to what a millionaire was the year I was born.  My jaw dropped!  It would take $5.3 million in today's dollars to be equal a million dollars the year I was born.  That explains a lot and possibly explains why I don't feel like what I think it should feel like to be a millionaire.

Sadly, I think the inflation calculator only uses the OFFICIAL inflation numbers.  I understand the the ACTUAL inflation numbers are even WORSE!  Perhaps it would take $10 million today to feel like a million dollars in 1976.  And it keeps getting worse.  I suppose in a few years, even people in the lower quintile of net worth will be millionaires, but I don't think it will mean what it meant all those years ago.........

Loading replies...