• Northern California
Votes |
Best ways to find a renter?

Maria G.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern California
Posted Apr 30 2022, 23:15

Hello,

I was wondering what the best portals are to advertise a property for a private investor (landlord/owner) are.

Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied May 1 2022, 01:55

Find out what online platform is the most widely used in your area and advertize there.  It often differs by area.  In one area I use kijiji and used(cityname), another area we used a completely different website.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 1 2022, 05:23

Most people are using zillow, zumper, trulia, apartments.com, facebook, and craigslist.

If you sign up with a property management service like TenantCloud.com, you can click a button to advertise your unit and it gets pushed out to multiple sites at once.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Adam Martin
Votes |
Replied May 1 2022, 05:55

I use Zillow, Facebook, and Apartments.com.  By far the best quality leads are from Zillow and I get quite a few.  Your first listing is free and then there is a charge after that but it is where I have found all my tenants so I really can't afford not to use it.  Facebook is mostly for laughs but I post there anyway.  I get a ton of responses that they are interested and reply back with my phone for a showing.  Most don't call or don't qualify but at least I can get some laughs when checking their profile and many weed themself out.  I've never had a response from Apartments.com but it's free so worth a shot.  Although Facebook and Apartments.com haven't yielded anything yet it is all about casting a wide net.  Search for rentals in your area and see where the adds are, that is where you want to be.  

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied May 2 2022, 06:17

As many as possible!

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 11 2022, 21:13

Craigslist and Zillow. To this day I don't think I've ever signed anyone from Zillow. My credit requirement is 750.  Probably the smartest is to use every site you can. I don't know why but it seems many craigslist applicants use the email to send an an essay about what they're looking for. I like that when I see it. I'm wary when applicants say nothing. Craigslist can be weird, but I think I'm pretty good at filtering the BS.   I think Craigslist should charge a small fee, it would get rid of the scam listings.

User Stats

Votes
Derrick E.
  • Investor
  • The Creek, WV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • The Creek, WV
Replied May 11 2022, 22:29

I used to use multiple different sites, but the only thing I use these days is Facebook Marketplace. 

User Stats

Votes
Jasmine Delves
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied May 16 2022, 18:39

There are so many free listings sites out there so it's worth advertising in more than one place. Facebook (although you may have to deal with some time-wasters) is a quick and free way to get your listing in front of as many eyes as possible, so take advantage of that too!