User Stats

Votes
Kevin Kim
Votes |
Lead Paint Related question for rental

Kevin Kim
Posted Mar 27 2023, 20:48

Hello 

I own my MF rental Home (3units) in CT about 1yr. I recently learned that landlord has to have certificate of lead paint to protect from any law suit. The CT EPA rule related to Lead paint mentions "age under 6". In our lease form, tenant says,  tenant's kid is 6 yrs old. So if the kid is 6 yrs old, then do i still need to concern and try to get certificate of lead free? Or, if the kid is 6yr old, then I don't need to worry as the kid is already 6 yrs old. To get lead paint free certificate, It will be long process to hire contractor and do abatement so if not needed, I would skip. But same time, I don't want to be in trouble in the future. I am thinking old MF home is not easy to manage and start thinking if i should sell (although if i can keep it, it will be much better....) I really appreciate some advice !! Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 28 2023, 05:16
Quote from @Kevin Kim:

You can read the details here: Lead Paint Ruling

Your Tenant's child is NOT under the age of six, so this doesn't apply. It also says the paint surface must be "defective" which means chipped or peeling paint.

In states with laws like this, it makes sense to have the home tested and abated when time permits so you can get it done and over with.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Eddinger
  • Meriden, CT
Votes |
  • Meriden, CT
Replied Mar 28 2023, 05:59

@Kevin Kim - I am an investor in CT and run a PM company in CT.  There is still no issue with any of the lead rules as long as you maintain the property and prevent the things that can cause lead poisoning (chipping paint, etc).

With that said, if a child has elevated lead levels, they are going to be working to figure out where it came from.  At that point, lead abatement may be required in your property.  There are currently programs in many towns (New Britain is one) called the "Healthy Homes" program which covers the abatement but requires you to hold the property for something like 7 years or pay a portion of the abatement costs back.  If you are worried about this, I'd recommend talking to the town and see if they have any programs like that.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 1 2023, 13:39

@Kevin Kim I have something that would be perfect for you. If you don't know all the ins and outs of self-managing.