Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Windingstad
Votes |
My First Eviction

Posted May 16 2023, 06:05

Hey guys... I am starting mt first ever eviction process, unfortunately, as my tenant is refusing to cooperate in paying rent. Sadly they have never been up to date in rent since day 1 and it's been 2 months. I learned a LOT here about vetting/etc. So please know that I understand my mistakes. I'm curious about what i can expect going through this process? My eviction complaint has been accepted as of Friday, and I have a written lease and documentation of lack of payment. As well as evidence of a continued effort to be flexible and accommodating (probably too much so). Has anyone here done an eviction in mn and have any tips for me? It's a duplex that I live in with my wife which makes it even more unfortunate...

Thank you! If any minnesotans want to grab coffee, I'm down! I want to connect more with investors. Small residential, as well as commercial residential! I'm reading about commercial res. Right now!

User Stats

Votes
Kim Meredith Hampton
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Replied May 16 2023, 06:37

Daniel,

Don't beat yourself up, take this as a learning experience and move on from there! Due diligence on the front end is imperative, but sometimes things happen that are out of your control.

I am not familiar with the MN eviction process, hopefully someone can chime in. Do you have a real estate attorney helping? If not, please seek them out, you dont want to miss one step

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Windingstad
Votes |

Thanks, Kim! 

I do not have an attorney. I know one, but her rates are beyond affordable for me at the moment. 

Ignite Funding  logo
Ignite Funding
|
Sponsored
Maximize Your Returns with Trust Deeds Earn 10%-12% annually on collateralized real estate investments. No fees to invest.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 16 2023, 06:46
Quote from @Daniel Windingstad:

Documentation is key.

Make sure you have a copy of the lease, a copy of their payment ledger, deposit slips, texts and emails, copy of the 3-Day Pay or Quit, etc. In 99% of my court cases, the Tenant shows up without a single document and a whole lot of ridiculous excuses.

I usually type up a simple cheat-sheet to keep in front of me:

01/15/2023 - Tenant paid $1,400 deposit and signed lease

01/20/2023 - Tenant paid prorated rent of $496.78 for January 20 - 31

02/03/2023 - No rent paid for February. Called and texted Tenant with no response.

02/05/2023 - Tenant responds by text that they will pay rent on 02/09/2023

02/09/2023 - No rent paid. No response to my texts, calls, or emails

02/15/2023 - Tenant was served a 3-day Pay or Quit

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Davidson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Replied May 16 2023, 07:36
Quote from @Daniel Windingstad:

Thanks, Kim! 

I do not have an attorney. I know one, but her rates are beyond affordable for me at the moment. 

What is the cost if you do something wrong and the tenant stays in, sues for damages, etc... If you truly can't afford it you better invest hard into learning the law and process. 

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied May 16 2023, 11:00
Make sure you have all your documents in order. Stick to the facts and know your numbers/dates off top. Also speak up if you are a quiet talker. I see so many judges get ruffled because of these two things. Good luck with this! Easy peasy, you got this!