Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mary Jay
  • Glendale, AZ
Votes |
Satin or Semi-gloss paint for rentals? Or what kind of paint do you recommend?

Mary Jay
  • Glendale, AZ
Posted May 24 2023, 11:15

If semi gloss is easier to wash out than  satin, then why don't they use semi gloss for the walls?

What paint do you guys usually use?

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 24 2023, 12:02

This should give you a start, and these things are not written in stone.

Here is a couple of beige's and a grey tone.

You can get small bottles of tester colors for cheap to try out on the walls before you commit to big $$ for the paint.

Interior Painting

Scope:

(1) Paint interior walls, ceilings, doors & trim. (Sherwin-Williams Low VOC paint only)

(a) Three-color scheme

(i) Walls – SW 7036 Accessible Beige, Flat (OR) 2) SW 7071 Gray screen Flat (OR) SW 6126 Navajo White (= beige) • Use FLAT on the walls except use eggshell or satin on the bath and kitchen walls.

(ii) Ceilings – SW 7007 Ceiling Bright White  

(iii) Trim – SW 7006 Extra White, Semi-Gloss

(iv) Doors – SW 7006 Extra White, Semi-Gloss

(v) Door Casings/Window Casings - SW 7006 Extra White, Semi-Gloss

(2) Prep existing walls to received paint. Fill nail holes, cracks and other holes, prime as needed. Replace any badly damaged trim boards.

(3) Protect existing surfaces not to receive paint. Do not paint over wall switches or outlets. Remove all outlet and switch covers before painting. Remove lock sets from interior doors before painting--leave exterior door locksets in place.

(4) Caulk all new & existing trim to receive paint as required. (Low VOC Caulk only)

(5) No loud music, use earpods only.

(6) No personal use of toilet or sinks or tubs in unit.

(7) Pour no solids or liquids down toilets, sinks or tubs.

(8) Unit must be broom clean at end of job.

It's possible trim and doors will last twice as long as wall paint.

It's possible painters charge about the same for the trim and doors as the walls.

Some painters spray, some brush some roller-- when painting tell adjoining units to close windows ahead of time to prevent dead birds, fish, other pets (or babies)--some primers (and cabinet paint) can be highly toxic and are not low VOC.

Good Luck!

You might like this:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b493LoJt6Jc

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.#3 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied May 24 2023, 12:52
Quote from @Mary Jay:

If semi gloss is easier to wash out than  satin, then why don't they use semi gloss for the walls?

What paint do you guys usually use?

This is one of those questions that is very simple, but a full explanation would require a book. So I'm going to give you a simple answer you might not find satisfactory.

Historically, ceilings are supposed to be flat white. Small bathroom and kitchen walls should be semi-gloss. Baseboard, door trim, and doors (not plaster or faux-plaster ornamentation) are supposed to be gloss. The rest of your living space should be flat, light, and neutral colors.

Deviate from this simple paint scheme and you will meet people with refinement and taste who think you just have less refinement and taste than they do. No further comment on this.

Use the best paint you can afford. This is often not the safest paint. Invest in PPP.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Jill F.
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Replied May 24 2023, 16:34

We like a high quality satin paint. It's way more forgiving with wall imperfections than semi-gloss and modern quality satin paint cleans so well that we use it on trim too. My favorite colors are sherwin williams aesthic white (satin) for walls and behr ultra white (satin) for trim. We do use behr flat ceiling paint for ceilings.

User Stats

Votes
Mary Jay
  • Glendale, AZ
Votes |
  • Glendale, AZ
Replied May 25 2023, 16:31
Quote from @Jill F.:

We like a high quality satin paint. It's way more forgiving with wall imperfections than semi-gloss and modern quality satin paint cleans so well that we use it on trim too. My favorite colors are sherwin williams aesthic white (satin) for walls and behr ultra white (satin) for trim. We do use behr flat ceiling paint for ceilings.

Thank you! When you say "forgiving" what do you mean? Do you mean that: if the walls were not built correctly it will smooth it over?

Or do you mean that: " If the tenants put a bunch of oil/dirt/etc on the walls it will easily will wash out?". My understanding semi gloss washes out quickly. 

I hear everywhere that satin is more forgiving than semi gloss but not sure what it is....

User Stats

Votes
Chris B.
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
  • Chandler, AZ
Replied May 25 2023, 16:54

In all of my units except for 1 I exclusively use SW Accessible Beige for all walls in satin.  For doors and trim I use SW Alabaster in semi-gloss.  In bathrooms I sometimes and sometimes don't use the same colors but all semi-gloss.  I stick with SW plain super paint for the walls.  I've sense learned of superior paints, but as I have already used this, I stick with it.  Other paints that have the satin finish from the same vendor are not the same and may not mix.  I used some SW branded paint, top of the line of what they carry, and the satin did not match at all and it needed to be painted over with super paint.

People use flats and satins on walls because they are more appealing.  People use semi-gloss on walls because its easier to clean.  You can't clean flat at all.  To some degree, the quality of your clients will determine what you use.  if you tend to have more respectful tenants who take care of the property and its a nicer house, go with satin.  If you generally have tough tenants who care less for nice things and don't take as good care of the property, use semi-gloss as it will save you some headache.

Glossy paints show off imperfections in the wall more easily... that crack that was plastered in or those holes that the last tenant made that weren't filled in perfectly...those kind of things show more on a shiny surface.

Semi-gloss is easier to wash off than satin which is easier than flat.  Dirt on the wall frequently needs to be painted over on flats and occasionally satins.  But in reality, sometimes its just easier to paint over a messy wall of any sheen including semi-gloss rather than spend the time scrubbing it clean.

User Stats

Votes
Braedie A.
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied May 25 2023, 17:01

Sherwin Williams in my area have frequent sales, just a tip, if you can maybe wait until your local store has another sale.

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied May 25 2023, 17:13

@Mary Jay Flat or eggshell is typically used on walls/ceilings because a finish with any sheen doesn’t hide all the imperfections in the drywall finishing….hence the reason why most walls have some “texture” applied.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied May 25 2023, 17:28

Satin or eggshell for walls in most rooms, semi-gloss in kitchens and baths, flat for ceilings, gloss or semi-gloss for trim.

User Stats

Votes
Jill F.
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Akron, OH
Replied May 25 2023, 18:02
Quote from @Mary Jay:
Quote from @Jill F.:

Thank you! When you say "forgiving" what do you mean? Do you mean that: if the walls were not built correctly it will smooth it over?

Or do you mean that: " If the tenants put a bunch of oil/dirt/etc on the walls it will easily will wash out?". My understanding semi gloss washes out quickly. 

I hear everywhere that satin is more forgiving than semi gloss but not sure what it is....

When you have imperfections in a wall, like repairs that are obvious or visible seams they don't show up as bad with satin paint as they do with semigloss. The flatter the paint finish the more forgiving it is with wall imperfections (and every wall has imperfection). I think satin is a nice balance between hiding flaws and washability. I work with a drywaller that does high-end new construction in our area and she says most of the custom builders around here are doing matte finished walls and satin trim nowadays. Now there are many paint finishes available: flat, eggshell, matte, satin, semi-gloss, gloss...

User Stats

Votes
Allan C.
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied May 26 2023, 10:38

@Mary Jay I actually put flat sheen on everything, including baths, kitchens, doors and trim. Looks cleaner and easy to spot paint during turnovers.

With improvements in technology these days (ie magic eraser), I hardly have to do a full repaint during turnovers.

User Stats

Votes
Mary Jay
  • Glendale, AZ
Votes |
  • Glendale, AZ
Replied May 31 2023, 10:39

Thank you so much guys!!!