• Leonardtown, MD
Votes |
Tenant Request to Move in Son's Family

Dennis Hill
  • Investor
  • Leonardtown, MD
Posted Mar 20 2024, 05:16

Good morning BP Family,

I have leased my property to a couple who has now asked "how much would it cost us to move our son, his wife and their child in with us"?  I currently rent the property for $2,400/mo.  The property is located in MD.  My question is can I legally modify the lease to add the 2 additional adults and increase rent by $600/mo?  Appreciate any advise you all have to offer.  Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Mar 20 2024, 05:31

First I'd do the same screening on the son and his wife as you did on your current tenants because what happens if the original tenants move out and the son and his family do not? 

What is included in the rent?  If it is simply the house and the tenant pays all the utilities, I personally would not charge more because you are renting them the house-not based on how many people are living there.  If you are paying some of the utilities, then that is a different story as those costs will go up with more people living there.

If you do have them move in, add them to the lease and make it clear that if the original tenants move, the son and his family also have to move out.  I'd also find out if this is temporary (ie one of them lost their job and is looking for a new one) or if it is permanent (ie they are moving in so the parents can help take care of the kids while the parents work).

User Stats

Votes
Lynn McGeein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Mar 20 2024, 06:29

@Dennis Hill if the house meets standards of that size family, enough beds baths and room size for children, then follow your standard rules, like I make anyone 18+ years of age qualify on their own unless they are a dependent of main tenant (prove with current tax return). As for charging extra rent, check with state local landlord tenant laws as could be violating fair housing if charging more just because more members in family.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Karen Hamblet
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Mar 27 2024, 11:16

You can charge more for extra adults, not for adding children if the unit is large enough for them under the Fair Housing guidelines. Check all local laws.