Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Corey Meyer
Votes |
Tenant of Duplex Disorderly and Threatening Towards other Tenants who called Police

Corey Meyer
Posted Mar 27 2024, 17:56

In our lease agreement, tenant agrees to keep premise clean, safe and in a habitable condition.  Neither tenant or their invitees shall be a nuisance or act in any matter that would interfere with the quiet enjoyment of adjacent tenants or property owners.  This prohibition includes but is not limited to, loud noises, loud music, noxious or unpleasant orders and disruptive behavior or actions. 

The tenant has now had a track record of having disruptive behavior/actions more than once to neighboring tenants in the same building and made them feel so unsafe they called the police.  

How quickly can I give notice to tenant that they must leave?  Do I need to give them a 30-days notice if they have a violation of our contract?  I will need to read up on Montana law for this, but my assumption is I don't need to give 30-days notice if the tenant breeched the contract making it void due to their breaking the agreement by interfering with the quiet enjoyment of neighboring tenants/ property owners. 

Thanks,

Corey 

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Mar 27 2024, 18:52

@Corey Meyer I'm not there and advice is cheap. I personally would stay out of this entirely, I'm the landlord and nothing more. All the best!

User Stats

Votes
Austin Elm
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Whitefish
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Whitefish
Replied Mar 28 2024, 12:13

@Corey Meyer you may be able to serve a 3-Day notice to quit or vacate. But it could be a slippery slope. I'd recommend reaching out to your lawyer for advice, or the Montana Landlord Association, https://montanalandlords.com/. The non-profit is designed to keep laws in favor or landlords in MT, and I've had good conversations about tenant issues with representatives there.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.