Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy S.
  • Investor
  • lehigh valley, PA
Votes |
Tenant caused damage do I need a estimate?

Jimmy S.
  • Investor
  • lehigh valley, PA
Posted Apr 25 2014, 16:43

If a tenant leaves the property damaged when they leave, do I need to have a professional estimate for the damage or can I just use reasonable repairs cost by myself?

Also how do you handle returning the security deposit if any is left? Do you attach a paper saying x amount of damage was caused and the cost?

User Stats

Votes
Mark Bookhagen
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied Apr 25 2014, 16:50

Pictures, pictures, pictures. Repair, save receipt, deduct actual repair cost from sec deposit. Then send receipt (copy) with letter explaining and any remaining funds or an invoice if the repair was greater than than the security deposit. Write a log of what happened and when. Be detailed. Pretend you are making a packet for a judge. Document everything and keep it in a safe place so if tenant tries to take you to court, you will be ready.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Bookhagen
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied Apr 25 2014, 16:52

Pictures, pictures, pictures. Repair, save receipt, deduct actual repair cost from sec deposit. Then send receipt (copy) with letter explaining and any remaining funds or an invoice if the repair was greater than than the security deposit. Write a log of what happened and when. Be detailed. Pretend you are making a packet for a judge. Document everything and keep it in a safe place so if tenant tries to take you to court, you will be ready. Also, use a check (not cash) so you can prove you refunded it. Use certified mail and make sure you have copies of everything you send to tenant. Get a copy of the cancelled check too.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Sharon Tzib
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cypress, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cypress, TX
Replied Apr 25 2014, 16:54

It's best to check what your state laws are for both of these issues. Here's a link by state for security deposits:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/security-deposit-limits-deadlines-your-state-36186.html

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Apr 25 2014, 17:20

I spell out in the lease the hourly rate for repair and cleaning labor , its the going rate for home improvement contractors in my area . All repairs are time and materials . Like Mark said document everything