ADA Issues

6 Replies

What specifically is the issue, other than discrimination I don't know of any issue. Modifications are paid for by the tenant as well as costs to remove modifications, putting the property back in its original condition. ADA doesn't require you to put in a roll in shower. :)

Public accommodations, stores, hotels and the like are the ones who are the target. I seen news shows where they found people making a business out of suing businesses over bathroom mirrors being an inch too high.

I believe the laws allow tenants to make modifications at their own cost & put back as, Bill Gulley said. This puts the onus on them, they can only sue if a Landlord refuses to let them make the changes.

Yes, and it's to reasonable accommodations, ramp, grab bars, removing lower cabinet doors, not rehabbing enlarging doors or rearranging a bathroom for a 3' turning radius. You aren't required to make structural changes, you're just to be accommodating. :)

The ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) is one of several federal laws regarding disability and accessibility requirements. There are also state laws and federal housing guidelines. Some are specific to public accommodations and others are for private accommodations.

If you are a private owner renting a SFH (private accommodation), you will need to be aware of non-discrimination laws that apply to you and what is considered reasonable accommodation. It is nothing to fear. Learn how to appropriately accommodate the needs of a qualified individual with a disability on a case by case basis.

Most accommodations require minimal alteration to a property and most can be done at minimal cost. Many tenants who have qualified disabilities also are recipients of programs that will pay for and do the modifications. The owner must allow the reasonable accommodation, but does not have to pay for it. The owner can require the property to be restored to its original condition after move-out.

Be careful in your screening process to not do or say something that could be considered discrimination against a protected class. Be aware there are some people who claim to have a disability and rights under the ADA but do not qualify. Those are the ones that are more likely to give a landlord grief. They never prevail with me, because I know the laws and my rights too.

But if you're rehabbing and you have a property that you can make accessible without adding to your budget then you may expand your potential buyers by doing so. With the aging of the population accessible properties may become more in demand.