Votes
Kyle Clark
  • Pacific Grove, CA
Votes |
Starting A Property Management Co, Question or Two

Kyle Clark
  • Pacific Grove, CA
Posted May 22 2014, 19:17

Im a real estate agent in California, recently started. My family has a real estate brokerage, but I hung my license with a different brokerage. Now I am considering working with my family, my split isnt what it should be and why not let my family benefit as well.

In the past year or so I did a lot of courses after college: Appraisal, tax prep, notary, loan officer and real estate agent. I was trying to find what I like haha.

Though the property management niche is probably competitive here in my area I would like for my family to add it to their brokerage. My family has a long history in real estate and they just do sales now, but I think more regular paychecks would be good for them.

My stepdad used to manage 74 units for his moms brokerage long ago. I took a property management course in the past in college.

Heres what Im considering....Setting up the structure of it first then I can perhaps pick up a client or two each month from marketing to absentee owners and others.

Whats needed? I read E&O insurance, a separate entity(LLC), trust account, a broker(mom). Whats missing?

Could I help them set this up while I work at a different brokerage? So the structure is set up under them and I find them leads

I got a lot of reading to do, any free resources out there? My stepdad is knowledgable on property management, but is the least excited to add a property management portfolio to their company from past headaches.

User Stats

Votes
Rhett Tullis
Property Manager
Pro Member
#5 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
#5 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied May 22 2014, 19:44

dont waste your money marketing to out of state landlords. look for online places to advertise. managemyproperty.com and the like. more bang for your buck, at least in my area.