A silly request! Need some catchy 1-2 liners for marketing...

10 Replies

Hello all,

I'm going to send out some postcards to non owner occupied properties for my property management business that I'm getting off the ground. However, I'm drawing a blank as to some funny catch phrases.

Do you have any funny one or two liners that you might share with me that I may be able to build a postcard around?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

@Karen Margrave Thanks!

I should mention that the properties I'm marketing to are all within walking distance of my house. I've got 1000+ non owner single family residences to market to. Capturing 1-2% of those owners would get the business rolling especially because rents are in the $2500-$3000/month range.

Originally posted by @Jeff Trevarthen :
@Karen Margrave Thanks!

I should mention that the properties I'm marketing to are all within walking distance of my house. I've got 1000+ non owner single family residences to market to. Capturing 1-2% of those owners would get the business rolling especially because rents are in the $2500-$3000/month range.

Not saying it can't be done, but buying 10 deals (1%) from mailing 1000 letters seems unrealistic. Especially in the Bay Area markets.

Not sure I would go with funny one liners when marketing to sellers in that area. Definitely wouldn't use postcards or yellow letters. Go professional and concise, send something that people will open and put in the property file. So they call you when they are ready to sell. My last purchase was from a letter sent 8 months prior to the seller calling me. One letter only. It wasn't about repeat hits, it was about readiness.

Do what you can to create marketing that looks like you're going to be in business years from now, and make it something people will keep for future reference.

I'm just trying to find properties to manage, not purchase at this point. I do like the idea of being professional though.

Originally posted by @Jeff Trevarthen :
I'm just trying to find properties to manage, not purchase at this point. I do like the idea of being professional though.

Sorry I missed the PM part. PM services are a totally different marketing message than buying RE marketing.

What are you offering that others don't? Why should sellers make a change? Most owners I know are pretty weary with their PMs. They kind of give up expecting professionalism, same day call backs, transparent booking, thorough tenant screening, fast and economical repairs, etc. and just hope for someone that doesn't rip them off. With the bar so low, they don't want to pay very much, and then they get what they pay for.

These owners don't need a funny one liner. They need an assurance that you are worth switching to or giving up a percentage of the cash flow for.

PM marketing that would get my attention would use the word "guarantee". In my experience, PMs don't guarantee anything in the way of rents or cash flow or good tenants. So find something you can guarantee. Just an idea.

Jeff -

I don't think direct mail is really the best way to go. Why don't you network where the people that have properties are like your REIA? You might also join your local Apartment Managers Assoc.. In my area, many of the investors that are in that organization also have single family homes. They aren't always happy with the company they are using. Get to know the people that have multiple properties.

Sharon

Medium propertysolutions1 blueSharon Vornholt, Innovative Property Solutions | [email protected] | http://LouisvilleGalsRealEstateBlog.com | Podcast Guest on Show #12

I would probably go with Kristine Marie Poe on this one. Especially if you're trying to do repeat property business with them, instead of a one-time sale - it should probably look more professional. Have your advertising look like the advertising they should expect to their tenant clients.. Would you hand a yellow flyer with a black and white picture to clients paying $3-4K/mo? Probably not!

And to Sharon's point, the San Jose REIA with Geraldine Barry is probably the most active in the Bay, if not the state. There's actually a big one-day event coming up in the next week or two for newer investors.. Might be a good place to start making longer-term contacts. I also have a monthly meet up in the Oakland area (check out my website on signature), and Johnson H is having a meet up on the 19th I believe in SF. To be honest though, not a ton of local landlords looking for a property manager in that area, I don't think... But great way to get connected!

Medium logoJ. Martin, SF Bay Summit | [email protected] | 510‑863‑1190 | http://www.sfbaysummit.com

I think a personal and professional letter makes sense. Have your picture and letterhead at the top and like @Account Closed  said, a guarantee would go a long way. What can you offer them that others can't/won't? Can you give them their first lease-up free? Guarantee rent for one year? $500 in free repairs for the first year? 

Are you on Angie's List? It's big around these parts. I know many people that use it and swear by it. Not sure if they have PM's on there but, if they do and you're able to get on there and get good marks, I'd think that'd be huge. If you can say you're top rated by XYZ it goes a long way to marketing yourself as well whether it's Angie's List or a local paper or website. Best Of is huge.

I love @Sharon Vornholt idea about REIA's, excellent place to pick up clients!