Painting a house before renting out

10 Replies

My new tenant is asking me to repaint the house before she moves in. I'm okay with painting any rooms that need it, but the rest of the house is fine and only need few touch ups. Do I have to repaint for her? Thanks in advance!

Are there any other applicants ready to rent the house? If not I may consider it but like you stated it would be hard to justify painting a room if it did not need it.Hope this helps.

You don't have to re-paint the house. My experience is that one coat of paint in the main rooms and hallways gives that clean feel and fresh paint smell, even if they don't show much wear and tear. It lessens that "lived in before" feel. Clean carpet and floors, deep clean kitchen and bathrooms. If the competition is stiff in your area, it could make the difference in a good tenant choosing your house or not. I paint all my rentals the same peanut butter beige walls with white trim and keep a 5 gallon bucket on hand. Re-paint it the same color each time and it's much easier and faster to re-coat.

Originally posted by @Jennifer Kim :
My new tenant is asking me to repaint the house before she moves in. I'm okay with painting any rooms that need it, but the rest of the house is fine and only need few touch ups. Do I have to repaint for her? Thanks in advance!

No

No, you don't have to and you are in danger of her "training" you instead of vice versa.

@jennifer Kim  Unless you have an odd bold color or it really needs painting I wouldn't paint on request. BUT, I think you've admitted some rooms need it and others need touch up.  I always do those things before I consider a house ready for showing. I want the best tenants, so I always show my properties at their best.

I like @Greg Shelburne

If the tenant is making demands this early on, I'd suggest another applicant - next they will want the floors replaced, a new garage door and new windows!

@Jennifer Kim

I am surprised that almost all the response to your question is NO.

I, myself actually likes to touch up a fresh coat of paint for every new tenant that moves in on a new lease. 

If the tenant wants any custom color other than the neutral color than I use in all my units, then I will ask the tenant for a fee of $3000 so I can paint the unit back to neutral after they move. I have never had a tenant that wants to pay me the $3000 yet.

@Jennifer Kim  I agree with @Tom Yung  unless this is a low end property it should have been painted to be tenant ready. That means a minimum of touching up any areas that need it. I too use a standard color, and do a quick single coat to give everything a fresh, clean look before move-in.

Let me be clear... I am assuming the house was appropriately prepared for renting and the tenant is making a special request for something that doesn't need to be done.  

Originally posted by @Jennifer Kim :

So, what is the status of the current paint job?  Do you have rooms that "need" paint, and others that need only touch up?  Did you show the property when it wasn't ready to rent?  Or were you hoping a tenant would take it the way it is?

If you showed a prospective tenant a property that wasn't clean and needs paint after the last tenant, it's more than reasonable to ask you to paint it.  Fresh paint is a minimum standard before re-renting.

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide