• Real Estate Investor
  • Oak Park, IL
Votes |
Accounting for Chicago Heating Expenses

Ben Wilson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Oak Park, IL
Posted Jul 16 2014, 10:23

I'm looking to purchase and live in a small multi-unit property in Chicago, and I would be interested in gaining some input on how to estimate and account for the expense of heating in the winter.  Obviously this will vary depending upon the property, but are there some general guidelines for how to anticipate this expense in the event that I am unable to obtain the information directly from the seller?  

Having only lived as a tenant in Chicago for 1 year, I don't know what heating costs, but I'd imagine it isn't cheap.  I've noticed that many landlords include the cost of heating in the monthly rent - I'm guessing because all units are heated from a single source.  Experienced Chicago investors, what do you do?  

User Stats

Votes
Brie Schmidt
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jul 16 2014, 14:22

@Ben Wilson - If it is forced air the tenants usually pay, if I it radiator heat usually it is 1 system and you pay.  For my 3 unit with 6 bedrooms and 3200 sq feet I pay $174 a month year round on budget billing

Second City Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ben Wilson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Oak Park, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Oak Park, IL
Replied Jul 16 2014, 15:44

@Brie Schmidt - Thanks for the helpful info!  The heat is definitely an expense, but not quite as bad as I expected.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Brie Schmidt
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jul 16 2014, 18:58

I believe we had a discussion about this before... @Joey Nakayama or @John Weidner don't one of you have rads?

Second City Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
John Weidner
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 17 2014, 04:34

I'm all separate so tenants pay.  So many factors here like age of the system, building insulation and windows, etc.  the only way to know is to request heat disclosure on any bldg you are serious about

User Stats

Votes
Kathleen Leary
  • Princeton, KS
Votes |
  • Princeton, KS
Replied Jul 17 2014, 06:05

It may not be possible where you are, but I've gotten utility information from the utility company. I told them I was looking at a property, etc. & they gave me high/low amounts for the last 12 months as well as the actual amounts from the last two months' bills. 

It doesn't cost to ask - and if one person won't help you, call back & see if you get another, more helpful person. Call around lunchtime - sometimes the "fill-in" person is more accommodating.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Jul 17 2014, 06:50

One other critical factor is the fuel type. Oil will cost more than gas for example. 

User Stats

Votes
Joey Nakayama
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 17 2014, 08:27

My building is 3 units, 7 br, about 4000 ft sq total. It's heated by a single hot water boiler, which shares a gas line with one of the rental units and a commercial dryer in the basement. During the summer that gas bill is $70-$80. This past brutal winter, the worst bill topped out a little over $650. The winter before the worst was $500. Age and efficiency of the boiler are big factors - My building has an older boiler that I plan to replace before next year.

As others have said, there are a lot of variables and the only way to tell is to get actual records from the buildings you're interested in.

User Stats

Votes
Ben Wilson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Oak Park, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Oak Park, IL
Replied Jul 17 2014, 10:00

I know the cost will depend on a lot of different variables, but the input is still very helpful just to get a general ballpark idea of what to expect as I start to look at properties.  I'll have to be sure to get the records for the building.  Much thanks!