Votes
Stephen E.
  • St Thomas, Ontario
Votes |
Smokers, outdoors/indoors, declared and otherwise

Stephen E.
  • St Thomas, Ontario
Posted Aug 28 2014, 13:19

I am stunned at the number of smokers that are out there in the rental pool. Right now out of seven units I have four smokers, all of which claim to be 'outdoors' smokers, two of which I discovered subsequent to leasing. They smoke on balconies, decks, etc., and claim never to smoke indoors. I discovered one of these smoked today as I went over with some paperwork that needed to be done. He was out on the balcony smoking with the sliding door open, he said so that he could hear the door as he was expecting me. Smoke had drifted into the unit and you could clearly smell it, disappointing as I had recently spent $12,500 on new carpet, paint, work in the kitchen and bath. The place is pristine! So my question would be to what extent do you think 'outdoor' smokers really are outdoor smokers, and do you think it is realistic to avoid them? I don't let people in who smoke in the unit, but then no one seems to admit that they smoke in the unit. It seems they are all outdoor smokers now. As an aside, I'm in Canada (near Detroit and Toronto). We get a very real winter. I am not sure how religious outdoor smokers will be about staying outdoors in the depths of wintertime.

Loading replies...