Votes
Lola C.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Does this sound like a rental scam? Please help, need to sign lease

Lola C.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Sep 3 2014, 17:15

I've been searching for a rental home for a while now. Finally found one that fit all the criteria via Westside Rentals (I'm in SoCal). There were 2 numbers listed as contacts, for "Rob" or "Katy." Rob did not answer; Katy did. She set up for me to go look at the house, as the owner (Rob) lives in Florida.

I went to look at the house and was greeted by one of the current tenants (his wife was at work, baby was at home). He took me on a tour and seemed very friendly. They are obviously in the process of moving but there is still plenty of stuff everywhere--the kitchen, bathroom, garage, and outdoors are obviously lived-in and full of baby stuff but the bedrooms and living room looked scarce.

He answered all of my questions, explained that Rob lives in Florida but Katy lives here and is the property manager. He says she calls occasionally to make sure everything is okay but otherwise does not come by. He said his wife has taken a job out of state so they are moving, but it's a great house, etc.

I talk to Katy later, tell her I loved the house, and she asks for my email address to have Rob send me the rental application. He emails me later that night with the standard application and credit check forms. I submit with my credit card # to have my credit checked. I didn't even think about how strange this was that I hadn't met the owner or the manager yet, just the tenant. Anyway, Rob has emailed me back today that my credit/application is approved. He will be sending me the lease to fill out and once I send him my check, he will remove the listing and the house is mine. Come October 1st (in one month), he will fly up here to give me keys, do the initial inspection with me, etc. once the current tenants have vacated completely and the property has been cleaned. 

Now, here's where I'm confused:

-There is still another whole month before I'm moving in. I feel weird handing over nearly $8,000 to someone who lives in Florida (via check) whom I've never met or spoken to and then sitting around for a month before I get my keys.

-Can't I just pay Rob come October 1st when we meet in person and inspect the house together? He sort of makes it sound like until he gets my security deposit, the house is still up for grabs. I have excellent credit and high income and have expressed that I am committed to this home; is that not good enough?

-Katy the property manager has not once offered to come show me the house or bring paperwork; everything has been with Rob through email. I have spoken to Katy now 4 times on the phone and she lives 5 minutes away (according to a Google search of her phone number).

Is this all sounding legitimate? I should note that the property is not priced at a bargain, nor is it a "too good to be true" scenario. My credit and income are excellent, so I am not surprised at them accepting me as a tenant either. Just concerned about this long distance setup. I have gone to look at 20+ homes in recent weeks and every one had either a realtor or the owner there to greet me.

I have also Googled Rob's full name, email address, and cell phone number. He does indeed appear to be who he claims he is, and I have seen his personal blog, Facebook account, and also several rental properties with good reviews on vacation home sites based in Florida. Katy's number comes back with 2 different women's names attached to it.

Please help--how do I go forward from here? I don't mean to sound paranoid, but Los Angeles is fraught with rental scams. Normally I'd just move on if I had any doubt, but I kind of have my heart set on this place. THANKS!

Loading replies...