Pick the best from the worst?? or wait till someone better comes along??

Pick the best from the worst?? or wait till someone better comes along??

Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 2 votes

We are tying to get someone to move in by the 15th. We have numerous applicants, none of which are knights in shinning armor. Should we rent to one of the applicants or wait and leave the house vacant until the "perfect" tenant comes along?

Suggestions? Comments?

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
12y

Just took us 8 applications to get our place rented. Having a bad tenant is worse than no tenant. You may try a price reduction to get more applications in so you have a better chance of getting a better more qualified application. It also depends on your rental criteria, if it's as strict as the requirements to get a mortgage you're not going to get anyone.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Clinton, MD · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 20 votes
    12y

    How bad are the non-knights in shining armor? I can deal with less-than-perfect, but not a sex offender with 4 prior evictions.

    Do you think they will pay rent and take decent care of the house? I'd rather have an empty house than an occupied house with tenants that don't pay rent and destroy the house. But I also accept The Perfect Tenant might not be coming along anytime soon.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Chicago Suburbs, IL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    12y

    Just took us 8 applications to get our place rented. Having a bad tenant is worse than no tenant. You may try a price reduction to get more applications in so you have a better chance of getting a better more qualified application. It also depends on your rental criteria, if it's as strict as the requirements to get a mortgage you're not going to get anyone.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    I will agree that having a bad tenant is worse than no tenant.

    Remember that it just takes one.  When I rent out properties, I'm not looking for perfection, I'm looking for someone decent.

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Kimberly H. is totally spot on. A bad tenant is way worse than no tenant. You don't need perfection to come along, but you should set up some criteria for what you think is acceptable and stick to it. 

  • Homeowner · Marlborough, MA · Member since 2014 · 36 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    I think if you need the cash flow right away, then go with the best of the worst.

    However, if you can financially support the vacancies, then I agree with others in that you are better off leaving it vacant and hope to find someone you are comfortable renting out to as opposed to someone who will give you problems all the time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.