Tree Removal (Getting paid by selling)

24 Replies

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in regards to having a tree removed and trying to sell it to XYZ company for a little bit of firewood profit?

I've got this one big that's going to be removed on 10/1.

I've had fir trees removed and broke even by selling them to a lumber mill.  Really depends on the type of tree, lengths you can cut it, how many you can combine into a full load. Oh, and the lumber market.  There is usually a fee for load and delivery that depletes the profits.  Check your local Craigslist for firewood prices.

Do you know what kind of tree it is?

With the tree being so close to the houses I can't imagine anyone paying you for the opportunity to cut it down.  Also with it being next to the houses for so long it's probably loaded with nails and other foreign objects which tear up blades.... That's how it is here anyways.   If that tree is an extremely desirable species... maybe.  It looks to be in poor condition and it could be hollow so it may not be worth milling...  For firewood it would need to be a hardwood to be much use for retail, you could definitely burn it yourself or sell it cheap on craigslist... you'd be lucky to earn 5 dollars an hour on the project once it's all sold... if it's not a marketable firewood or milling wood I'm sure the guy you hire would be glad to leave it instead of hauling it off.

If you've got nothing better to do, it wouldn't hurt to figure out the species and send that info with a pic to any local people you can find online who might be interested.  If you don't ask you'll never know.

One arborist says Cottonwood, the other has Chinese Tallow.

I'll go with what you said, Tim, and find a local lumber company to see if they want to collect.

@Jeff Lee  

Update us with your results. I'm curious as to what you find out :)

I suppose it also depends on where you live.  In our area, there are so many trees, it's really hard to get rid of them, let alone get paid for it (usually the cost of hauling them away is as big or bigger than taking them down).

I'd be interested in knowing how much you pay for taking that tree down - it does look "expensive" (close to two buildings). @Jeff Lee  

If it's a cottonwood tree then you've got almost no chance of finding somebody who wants it imo... It's just about the worst firewood and if somebody wants to mill soft wood then they'll just cut down a pine with a 30ft straight trunk.

I don't know much about chinese tallow but some people make bowls out of the wood.... still sounds like it'd be hard to find a buyer.

Still... if you've got more time than money you can call around.  If it were me, knowing that's its extremely unlikely to be marketable, I'd pay somebody to haul it off.

Whatever salvage value there may be will be factored in the tree removal quote.

I'll cut that tree even at the roof height, then I will sculture steps into its trunk, or mount bronze railings on it, then I'll build a tiny meditation hut on top of the truncated trunk, and a small overhang so you can step onto your roof.

The lowest, best, quote I've been given is $1650 to have the tree removed/hauled off and an additional $300 for stump removal. (The company does have insurance.)

The $1950 price tag is pretty good considering the first quote I was given came in at $6000 and every subsequent quote has since then decreased.

@Jeff Lee  

I agree that's a very decent price.  I would expect to pay at least 2.5K in my area for something that congested and that big.

if it were a black walnut , you would make good money.  Tree companies dont want the wood , they have to pay to transport it , and to dump it . The mills dont pay much. Firewood isnt worth the time spent , too much handling . 

@Matthew Paul   even if it were black walnut you may not get as much as you were hoping for. Most often a thin veneer is used nowadays. You may be able to find a local guy who would be interested but again that may be tough to do.

@Jeff Lee   not sure if you want to tackle the project yourself but you can usually rent a stump grinder and get rid of the stump yourself for much less than what the tree company is going to charge you.

@Paul S.  That's a good idea. Never thought about it that way. Home Depot seems to have stump grinders for rent/purchase and there's also a formula that can be used (here).

@Jeff Lee   That formula says it "Treats 1 average-size stump" not sure what average is, but you may need a case of that stuff judging by the size of that stump. :-) 

I rented a stump grinder from The Home Depot and it was not very difficult to grind out the stumps. Then again you have to tow the grinder to your property, not sure if you have a hitch on your car or not. When I rented the grinder I called some friends and told them I would be renting the grinder so I did the ones in my yard and two of my neighbors did stumps in their yards as well. Turned out to be very reasonable since we all split the cost of the half day rental. Also be sure to ask the chuckelhead working at HD any questions you have about the grinder before you rent it. They are usually able to show you how to use it and again, it is pretty simple anyhow.

My stump will be king-sized. I may have to purchase half a dozen of those containers.

Originally posted by @Paul Schuw:

@Jeff Lee any progress on the tree issue?

It's scheduled to be taken down 10/8. The real wonder will be if this formula (here) I purchased from Home Depot will knock out the stump afterward.

I got 4 of them just in case one doesn't do the trick.

Let the guy fall it and grind it for 1950 and move on with your life. Its a junk tree and that's a great price. You need an industrial stump grinder for that big of a stump, not a dinky thing from home depot. It costs 300 a day just to rent the industrial one around here. 300 to grind that is not a bad price at all. I do this for a living.

Originally posted by @Jeff Lee :
Originally posted by @Paul Schuw:

@Jeff Lee any progress on the tree issue?

It's scheduled to be taken down 10/8. The real wonder will be if this formula (here) I purchased from Home Depot will knock out the stump afterward.

I got 4 of them just in case one doesn't do the trick.

I always prefer to grind them, but if your are going to use this stuff, get your {hammer} drill out with a 1" or 1 1/4" bit and drill lots of holes of varying depth.  Then place the granules in the holes - rain will take care of the rest.   If you just sprinkle the contents on the top of the cut face, you will likely be disappointed.

1(506) 471-4126

And that bonide is a gimmick

@Sean Kuhn   probably knows better than all of us but I have never heard of those chemicals working all that great. If you are bent on using it @Roy N. has the right idea of getting the stuff down into the stump. My grandfather always drilled holes in the stump then found a termite nest nearby and would throw a shovel full of termites on top. he thought it worked but I would be willing to bet you do not want termites anywhere near your home though. 

This post has been removed.