Has anyone tried adding washer/dryer combos to units with no laundry?

14 Replies

Hey BP - 

I am looking at a rental property that has no laundry - not in unit, no common laundry, and not great space for the laundry.  Units and common space are not set up for laundry (no vents, etc).

I've been looking at a few washer dryer combos online - like these for example: http://tinyhousetalk.com/top-5-washer-dryer-combos...

Has anyone had experience using washer dryer combos like this in their rental properties?

Dan

I haven't used the single combo yet, only double combo (2 level). 

The specs look good though  

Don't have experience with the combo units.  However, I have a friend who has a 4-plex.  It is a historic home that was converted.  His washer is "tucked" into a slightly oversized utility closet with the hot water heater.  The dryer was put into a closet on the sun porch.  I hate the situation, but those units rent in <2 weeks and are always full.

I have one that I inherited from a property I just bought but I am in rehab mode so haven't even verified if it still work.

I understand they are typically ventless so no need for a duct outside.  They are smaller in capacity and dries REAL SLOWWWWWW.

I used to have a stackable combo unit in Manhattan.  It couldn't be vented outside due to city regulations so I had a Condensation Dryer.  Sam Leon (above) is right - if it can't be vented you'll likely have to go with a condensation dryer and they not only dry very slowly but they never really get your clothes fully dry.  However, it is a viable solution if you've no other choice - just be aware of the drawbacks...

I have used and hate these combos and they dry really slow.  That being said it is easier to rent with  washer / dryer depending on your rental target audience and how comparable you are with other units in the area.  My one bedroom units without washer dryer rented but I am sure would go quicker if they had W/D.  That being said I am not sure the combo  would work unless it was in each unit given the time it takes to dry but they could have improved.   

Na K.  

You would be better off providing a stackable 24" front load, HE, apartment size washer and dryer.  The Bosch ones work well and only require a single 220v receptacle as the washer plugs into the dryer.   I would also stay away from the unitized dryer over topload washer which GE and Maytag originally built for mobile homes.

@Roy N.   yes,  the average North American will probably have the reaction I did but the interesting thing was the Europeans I knew that used them didn't try to dry in them, they hung their clothes, I kept asking myself what's the point of having the combo? why didn't they just get a better washer. It is a bit ago though and they may have improved.

If you decide on the combo I would want to talk to someone who uses the model you choose or similar. read online reviews from real people. Stackables are good choice but there is still the venting.  It also sounds like you might not have space.

Originally posted by @Colleen F.:

@Roy N.  yes,  the average North American will probably have the reaction I did but the interesting thing was the Europeans I knew that used them didn't try to dry in them, they hung their clothes, I kept asking myself what's the point of having the combo? why didn't they just get a better washer. It is a bit ago though and they may have improved.

Colleen:

Unlike North America where HOAs forbid clotheslines, hanging clothes is still preferred.  When I worked in the Netherlands, we hung our clothes ... unless it was raining, then you left them in the machine for 60 minutes. 

Originally posted by @Roy N.:

@D K. 

These have been around for decades and are very common in Europe.  You average {North} American is going to have the same response as @Colleen F.   

You would be better off providing a stackable 24" front load, HE, apartment size washer and dryer.  The Bosch ones work well and only require a single 220v receptacle as the washer plugs into the dryer.   I would also stay away from the unitized dryer over topload washer which GE and Maytag originally built for mobile homes.

Thanks for that comment. I have a need for such a product in a converted space that we are rewiring/plumbing for a small D/W. We will most likely provide the equipment as part of the lease.

Thank you all for the great replies - really helpful stuff!  I'd love to do a stackable and figure out the venting issue and am just trying to price out what is a smarter/more viable option.  One of the spaces is likely not set up for the vents.   Thank you!

Na K. these units are not tenant friendly or should I say tenants are not friendly to them. Too easy to overload.

Hi @Dan K.

I'm in a similar situation where there's not an ideal space for a washer/dryer in one of my units.  Did you end up trying the combo w/d for the property mentioned above?   If so, how has it worked out?  

I'm interested in learning more about these unique appliances since that might be the only option I have.  Thanks.

Hey I didn't end up trying! I'm looking at another property where this might be and issue and hope to give it a shot. I have friends that have these but nobody in the US. I wonder how US tenants would feel about these, or if they are a little too different.

@Brent Seehusen - did you end up buying one?  I am about to buy one for the basement of one of my units and am wondering what's the feedback. It seems that everyone is complaining about the same thing which is the Drying part.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here