Accepting rents online

9 Replies

My family has an apartment complex and currently we do not have a website. I want to get a website for our complex to put useful information on there for the tenants.

One of the big things I want is for tenants to be able to do auto pay for their rents. Many of them drop off checks at our home mailbox, and I want to make it easier for them.

How do I do this? I am looking for an easy inexpensive option.

Also what are some other features and benefits my new site for the complex should have.

Link for local govt, police

garbage collection

tenant requirements for lease- credit scores and background checklist?

Thanks for your help

@Jennifer Hollstein  -  I am not sure the cost of building a portal is worth it when you have sites like williampaid.com which is free to the tenant and you.  

We keep a document with helpful links and information the we just email to tenants when they sign a lease.  We include what you listed as well as info for the utility companies, cable and internet options, and nearby parks and restaurants.  

We also include their payment options and best way to communicate with us for different situations.  

Hi Brie, are there other sites that are like williampaid? I would like to see other options. Thanks!

Take a look at: erentpayment.com and intuitpaymentnetwork.com

In the past, I used a service called clearnow (just google it).  I have also worked a system where I would give my tenants deposit slips to a bank account that I used only for collecting rents.  They were instructed to write their address on the deposit slip.  I could go onto online banking and view the deposit slips to see who had paid.  Also, my PM has recently started taking rent payments by debit and/or credit card.  There is a small cost to this, but he says that they increased collection rate more than makes up for the cost.

@Jennifer Hollstein  I personally use quick pay through chase.com. I request money every month from tenants and when they pay it direct deposits in my account. It is free if you bank with chase. Hope this helps.

@Jennifer Hollstein  I personally use quick pay through chase.com. I request money every month from tenants and when they pay it direct deposits in my account. It is free if you bank with chase. Hope this helps.

I give them a routing and account number to my bank.  They deposit and I check online. 

Thank you everyone. We are close to the buildings so tenants usually drop checks off. I want to make it easier as some have made the request to do automatic deposit or withdraw. I know me personally If it is not automatic or simple to send money via my online banking it does not happen. WE bank with a local small bank here in town so we don't have chase online.

Thank you again everyone for your suggestions.

This post has been removed.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.