Showing your appreciation...

14 Replies

"Showing your appreciation encourages mediocre tenants to be better, and excellent tenants to keep it up."

Agree or Disagree?

What is showing your appreciation? I just do my best to communicate well and keep a well-maintained property. When repair issues arise, I react promptly. When a usually well-paying tenant is late, I might cut them a one-time break on the late fee.

I agree. I think if you recognize that a tenant is taking care of your property that tenant might be more likely to keep the place nice in the long run which would help you. It is always good to try and stay on good terms with them. Showing tenants that you notice how they maintain the place is a great way to keep the relationship on good terms. 

It's very important to have a good Landlord/Tenant Relationship.  This entails respect for each other.  When you have both, you automatically have appreciation for each other.  

Be human with each other. 

Disagreements and arguments arise due to misunderstandings on both parties.  However, Tenants don't understand the Landlord Business, just like most people.  So, even though we may have this or that in our Lease Agreement, I will always be patient when it comes to explaining why this has to be done or that, pointing to where it says this or that in the Lease Agreement, and explaining to them why it has to be that way.  

Even though some of my methods may seem "hard nosed" to some, and perhaps to my tenants at some time or another, they always said, My landlord is tough, but she's fair, and they loved me for that, and I loved them back.  

Nancy Neville

Disagree. Showing appreciation is something a person is best served by doing as a matter of practice in their own life.  The act of showing appreciation neither encourages or discourages a person to change their behavior unless the person wants to change something they are doing on their own accord. 

Showing your appreciation helps to maintain a cordial relationship with your tenants.  As the property owner it is your responsibility to maintain your property and to respond to the situations that arise in the effort to maintain the property.  It is not your responsibility to encourage others in expectation that your encouragement will cause a change in their behavior.  The truth is, it is impossible to change another person.   

Thank you for posting the question. 

This question stemmed from an article I was reading about "Welcome Home" gift baskets for new tenants, which led to an article about showing appreciation.  

@Victoria Winters  I can kind of see what you're going but I don't think I agree.  Have you never received a "Thank you for being our valued customer" gift/coupon from a store/creditor/etc? Maybe you've shopped a few times in the past (mediocre customer). Would receiving a 'Thank you" not 'encourage' you to shop more frequently or at the least keep shopping (keep it up)? 

Hi Arthur,

Your original question asked, "agree or disagree?".  Yes, I have received gift/coupons and/or store credit, etc.  I have used some and passed on some too.  The coupon really has nothing to do with whether or not I will choose to shop in a particular store or even return.  I always appreciate politeness and courtesy from other people, but that has nothing to do with my choice to make changes within myself.  I am mindful that I can only change myself and in no way can I change another person.  In fact, I really do not want to change other people.  I may not always like the behavior or actions of others, but it is always my choice to respond or not to any other person.  Change them, no way!  That really is impossible, but I can change myself.

I love this topic!

I send out $20 gift cards to my tenants around this time of year.  I'm training them to subconsciously be better.  

Hmmm that must be why my vacancy rate over 6 years is tracking around 1-2%...

Frank

Hi,

Back in the day my landlord use to send me her free Starbucks gift cards that she use to get from her drinking Starbucks all the time.  I thought that was cool.  It doesn't have to be a big thing. Just realize that good, happy, long-term tenants is the goal.

Leon

I haven't been in this game that long, but, I'm of the mind that rewarding 'good' or desired behavior will continue to yield said behavior.  Some will appreciate it, some won't.

@Frank Romine   I'm not looking to change anyone, but encourage the continuation of the behavior that warranted the 'reward' in the first place.  Just my thoughts anyway.

@Arthur Banks  I agree with you and understand your perspective.  From what ever vantage point a person views an idea, they are correct.  It is a pleasure to to show appreciation in all things and also the duty of all humans.

some interesting and intelligent thoughts here on a very subjective concept. Although I do not give my tenants any rewards of the sort discussed here, I do forge a relationship and personal bond with them that professionalizes the relationship. My units are expensive, and hence my tenants are all well paid professionals, so I treat them more like peers, and they appreciate that respect. In that sense I relate to @Arthur Banks   perspective. 

But OTOH I find that with most tenants (even professionals like mine) there is usually a time where I must say "no" to some request. I almost always have to set boundaries on what I will/will not do, but it's usually pretty gentle and they quickly get it. So in that sense @Victoria Winters  perspective is relevant. 

At the end of the day, the relationship you establish with your tenants highly depends on your location, socio-economic factors and tenant retention/market competition.  I imagine there is going to be a very broad band of attitudes on this subject!

If by showing your appreciation you mean acknowledging and reinforcing I agree. If the tenant keeps a place nice, plants flowers, or does good maintenance I try to acknowledge that. If you mean sending gift cards etc I don't do that.  I don't think it has any impact.  Its more in how you treat people regularly then those little perks.

I think showing appreciation is just generally a very powerful practice.

I'm guessing of course, but it seems to me that showing appreciation from time to time (say in the form of a gift card or whatever ) in addition to maintaining the property, would either yield no result or a positive result. Can't imagine it would be negative. So it might be worth testing.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here