Tenant left appliances, question....

15 Replies

Hello,

My last tenants asked if they could leave their washer and dryer and refrigerator in the house when they moved out. I told them OK, since They are only 1 year old, and in perfect shape. They left the manuals and receipts for them. My question is how do other landlords out there handle appliances being included in a SFR rental like this?

If I include them with the rental, i would to have to repair the refrigerator/washer/dryer when they break.  Should I "give" or sell the appliances to them?  

Just looking for ideas on this, as I already provide the stove and dishwasher, but I think they are pretty reliable compared to a refrigerator , washer& Dryer.

Just looking for some ideas here maybe I didn't think of.

Thanks,

Larry

WoW a big windfall.  I always provide fridge as part of my rentals, I understand it is regional.  As to washer and dryer I would advertise they are available for an extra $25 to $50 per month.  Have your lease say you are not required to replace them, you will drop lease by $25 if they break and you choose not to fix them.

State the following appliances xxx are there for tenant use but is not included in the lease ad that you will not replace or repair them. If they break during the lease term, tenant will have to replace or repair at their own expense.

I agree with @Nazz Wang  .  You can just exclude them from your responsibility in your lease as she suggested.

Sorry...double post!

This post has been removed.

This happened to us.  We bought a washer/dryer set from a tenant who didn't want to move the set.  Then we offered it as extra value to the next tenant. Then the tenant after that had their own w/d set, so we donated our w/d set to a local non-profit... an Oxford House... and got a receipt for a tax deduction.  It was a win-win all the way around.

I just got a really good deal from a tenant who didn't want to move a leather couch, matching leather chair, flat screen type television stand, microwave, vacuum cleaner, 2 window air conditioners, kitchen table with 4 chairs, coffee table, and end table... all for $200 cash + $100 towards extra cleaning services to get his apartment back in shape. That was a win-win too.

I would raise the rent on this unit due to it being completely furnished with appliances.  This ways the little increase in rent will pay for any repairs or a new buy in the future. 

When tenants leave things behind that are useful, it benefits us because we can charge a little more rent for our rentals due to it now being furnished with these goodies, whereas the rents were a little lower because the tenant had to furnish these things.

Nancy Neville

I include the basic appliances in my rentals (stove & fridge). If a prior tenant leaves an appliance (washer/dryer) I leave it for the next tenant but I also include who will be responsible for repairs in the lease. I don't assume responsibility for them.

You can also sell them to the next tenant or someone else if you don't want them in the unit.

In a SFR, I see the benefit of leaving extra appliances out (more things to fix when they break), but I also like any little extras that can but more cash in my pocket monthly. So I provide a stove only, and tell prospective tenants that fridge and washer/dryer are available for a small additional monthly fee.

I have a different philosophy. I usually provide all appliances, including a built-in microwave if possible. I go with basic low-end appliances, but I make sure they all match. And I won't buy used unless they look almost new. Tenants seem to appreciate the extra value, and most of them stay with us for years. Basic appliances are also fairly reliable, I don't think we've had more than a few service calls over the past 5 years. 

We set our rents a bit higher than average for the area, and we make sure all prospective tenants know we screen carefully.

I had a tenant who left a queen sized bed frame and headboard which was less than a year old.  So I just put it on Craigslist and had someone take it for free.  The microwave cart the tenant who moved in wanted, so I gave it to them for free.

Thanks for the advice.  My house is already at the high end of the rents for the area, mainly because it was remodeled/updated several years ago.    So i will just include them in the rental, but put down in the lease agreement that I won't pay for repairs.  If they break, the most i will do is have them removed.

Thanks,

Larry

IMO if you provide an appliance(even if left by a tenant)... You need to pay to maintain it.  Most people who are landlords rented at some point in their life.  When you rented, would you find it acceptable if you had to repair it as well?  Better yet, you creating a culture of "f$ck It" if the landlord won't fix it, I don't care about anything else in the house... 

Here is the statement from my lease:

Appliances – Although the following appliances are presently in the dwelling:

• Frigidaire Refrigerator (FRT8B5HB0-BA74712959),
  • Frigidaire Electric Range (FEF326FBB-VF73871578),
  • Goldstar Over-Range Microwave (MV1502B/01-709TANS00063),
  • Frigidaire Dishwasher (FDB130RGB1-TH73816876)

the use of these appliances is not included in the rent. If Tenants wish to use these appliances, they agree to assume all responsibility for care and maintenance. Tenants agree to return the appliances in the condition supplied less any normal and reasonable use. If Tenants wish to use their own appliances, they may request that the owners’ appliance(s) be removed from the premises.

This has never been an issue with my tenants.

Hadn't thought about the possibility that the appliances are rent-to-own that they just bailed on. Somebody may be coming to repo them so I wouldn't put them on a lease.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here