Should property managers be required to have a license?

Should property managers be required to have a license?

Commercial Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2014 · 86 posts · 46 votes

First I just want to say that I am new to Bigger Pockets and I am meeting new people and learning even after 30 years in real estate. Thanks to all. I think this is a great site. Now on to my post.

I am reading posts where a current landlord is helping his neighbor or friend manage his or her rental unit. I am not sure about other states but here in Florida anyone can manage a property but you must have a real estate license to rent it to a tenant and only an attorney can write a lease. So I want to caution all landlords helping others to be very careful. I think you are putting yourself at risk. For example:

Do you know about the fair housing laws? Is the landlord naming you as an additional insured on their insurance policy? Do you have an agreement in writing to act on the landlord’s behalf? How about giving proper notice for inspections or other matters? What about the last month’s rent or security deposit? You are now responsible for other people’s money. If the tenant becomes upset over something and they decide to sue they are going to sue everyone, including you.

As of now anyone in Florida can open a property management company and start managing properties and thousands of dollars of other people’s money with no license or training required. There is a strong movement in Florida to have all property managers have a real estate license and I think this will become law in the next year or two.

I would like to know what others think. Is this a good idea to have all PM’s have a license? What are the laws in other states? Has anyone had a bad experience managing another person’s property? I would like to hear from other landlords, property managers, investors and agents. How many of you that are managing another’s property would be willing to get a license? What do you think?

There are a lot of good landlords on this site who know what they are doing but I think they should think twice before they take on a property they don’t own.

0Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Peoria, IL · Member since 2013 · 967 posts · 383 votes
11y

@Randy Johnston 


Seems like the owner is better qualified to decide whether someone can PM than the government?

If the owner loses a bunch of deposits/money cause of his bad PM decision this is on him.  If he lets the PM run wild with all the money - this is on the owner also.
If the owner gets sued this is on him too.  

The owner is legally able to PM without government's approval.  I am more trusting of the owner's judgement than the government. 

Seems like there is already good reason for the owner to select someone that will do a good job PMing.  Not the government.


See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Paul Ewing 

      if taken to task the 1% ownership as a ruse to get around licensing rules will not hold up.

    But hey if its family what is the risk anyway.. States in general are not interested in small timers.. its the blatant disregard for the licensure that gets the attention of the states. IE companies holding them selfs out as PM without a license or some mom and pop that has 30 to 50 homes under management of which there is no familial connection.. those are the ones that get rooted out over time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.