Crystal meth status disclosure?

11 Replies

We looked at a property this weekend that has good potential except for one major concern:

• In the past it was deemed uninhabitable due to the fact it was one used in the manufacturing, use and/or distribution of crystal meth.

I have a feeling it was used for the manufacturing specifically. I am sure the other activities occurred as well.

Since then, the bank took over the property, remodeled it and has put it back on the market.

• Is this something that I would need to divulge to future tenants?

My thoughts are that since it was professionally remodeled and cleaned that this would not be a factor any longer. However, in an effort to be open and honest, part of me thinks it would be my responsibility as a good landlord to make applicants aware of this.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

I know if you sold me a meth house without telling me its history I'd be pretty d*** upset.

Meth houses came up in a conversation I had earlier this week with a friend who's a housing inspector for the city of Toronto. According to him the chemicals can get leached into the studs, can't be treated, and even after the house has had all the drywall replaced they can affect the air quality. 

Ignorance can be a cheaper route in some instances... but you never want to put tenants' health at risk.  There are some out-of-the-box kits you can grab for under $50. If nothing else, it will provide YOU with piece of mind in telling future tenants nothing.

If you have ANY reason to believe there are or could be residual chemicals on the property (in the walls, studs, etc) then you need to have the appropriate tests done and abatement performed.  Professionally.

Just as a heads up, abating a meth manufacturing location can get very, very expensive.

Some states have laws that require disclosure. I'd check with a lawyer if I were you.

@Scott Pigman  @Mitch Coluzzi  @Sylvia B.  

Enough said. Thank you very much for the input.

We are not moving forward with this deal, but I noticed when I searched "crystal meth" on the forums I did not find anything. I wanted to ask for myself and anyone else that has the question in the future.

Appreciate it.

It would be interesting to know if the property was professionally abated and whether it can be determined that no residuals exist. What did the seller disclose about it?  Are all meth houses lost causes?

http://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/Contaminants/DrugLabs

I absolutely would disclose that! Cooking substances is extremely dangerous and toxic. If the owner is not aware of that then they will not do the proper testing during inspection. Usually mold and air quality is tested but nothing else. Those chemicals are just as dangerous as asbestos. The long term affects can be dangerous. Better safe than sorry! If you do not disclose that information and know about it they can sue you. 

@Marcia Maynard  

That is where my mind went as well. As a result of this visit, my wife started doing some research. It turns out that Pierce County has a 37 page list of houses that are associated with meth manufacturing/use. That is a lot of houses.

@Bryan R.  

Awesome. Thanks for the link.

Originally posted by @Marcia Maynard :

It would be interesting to know if the property was professionally abated and whether it can be determined that no residuals exist. What did the seller disclose about it?  Are all meth houses lost causes?

No, they are not all lost causes.  It really depends on the type of property and what kind of toxicity the tests revealed.  In some cases it won't be that different from the dreaded black mold.  You disclose both it's past presence and the remediation/abatement cert.  The tests show levels of particulates and residue.

I would pass. Even if professional remediation was done I think itd be a hard sell to get buyers/tenants to choose that house over another that did not have those health risks past or present. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.