General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Dawn Anastasi
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
I thought I've seen everything as a landlord, then my tenant came in with a sledgehammer

Dawn Anastasi
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Posted Jan 11 2015, 15:58

Okay, as a landlord I've seen tenants do some weird things.  Well, today was a new one. I really thought I saw everything crazy as a landlord, but today took the cake.

One of my tenants is moving out and she had a few things left in the house to pick up. A couch, a bed, some chairs, a mirror, some curtains, etc. I'm in the house painting, getting it ready for the next tenant.

So she comes by to get the couch. Some back story -- I know that she just purchased this couch less than a year ago. She was very proud of getting this couch, and I don't know the exact cost, but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $500. She had broken up with her boyfriend sometime in the last couple of months, and he slashed the cushions on the couch.

Well, she comes over today to pick up the couch. She brings along a male friend and he's carrying a sledgehammer. After they get in, he starts wailing on the couch with the sledgehammer! Soon it's crushed up and they carry it out.

WTF? Apparently since she didn't have cushions for the couch, it was "garbage" and that was how they decided to dispose of it. It did not occur to her, to simply spend a little money to buy new cushions. Even if you couldn't get cushions that exactly matched, you could at least just cover the couch with a slipcover.

Fellow landlords, have you ever had anything as bizarre as this happen to you when a tenant was moving out?

Loading replies...