Chicago "Problem" Landlord List

6 Replies

To my fellow Chicago investors, wanted to share that the city is now posting a list of "problem" landlords online. The city's rationale and list is linked below.  Interested to hear thoughts on this from other people.

City's explanation: "The Problem Landlords List identifies residential building owners repeatedly cited for failing to provide tenants with basic services and protections, such as adequate heat, hot water, and working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Those on the list have been found liable in two or more Administrative Hearing cases within a 24-month period and have three or more serious building code violations."

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/bldgs/s...

We saw that yesterday & recommended that the city put up a site that will publicly announce problem tenants.

@John Casmon  while they probably want way to much money from there run down buildings, they  are also probably the whining, complaining about everything slumlord, and everything is the tenants fault (including the roof leak and no hot water) but you could always try to market to them and see if you could get a deal, search through enough coal piles and you will find a diamond mentality. 

@Crystal Smith  haha, wouldn't that be nice!

@John Casmon  - I saw this a few weeks ago and am kinda in support of it.  The original article explains the reason this started was because of landlords not providing adequate heat.  

Department of Buildings Commissioner Felicia Davis said the city has responded to some 3,400 "no heat" complaints since Sept. 15. Davis said the department has filed 114 court cases involving 887 residential units for heat-related complaints.

January 12th article - CHICAGO — On Friday, the city took the landlords of 20 properties, or 280 residential units, to an emergency heat court hearing to force them to restore heat for their tenants after last week's frigid temperatures yielded hundreds of complaints from renters and nearly 500 property inspections from the city.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150109/downtown/c...

It seems like a good idea.  It seems the bar is "high" enough that the danger is low of good landlords having bad luck will make the list.

@Crystal Smith  That's a great idea! Need a lobbyist to make that happen!

@Brie Schmidt  @Jesse T.  Agree that this seems to focus on truly bad landlords, but think it sets a dangerous precedent, especially in a market that heavily favors tenants already. Feel there are better ways to get the change their looking for than publishing a list. Below is another article which highlights the other side, including an owner who argues that the issues were fixed. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-bad-landlords-0127-biz-20150127-story.html

I'm all about improving tenant living building conditions, but I can easily see how this can get out of hand with the city with too much gray area.  @Jeremy Tillotson  It does look like many of them may be interested in selling.

I wish my county had this.  Good landlords not only have nothing to fear from it, they will gain from it.  And there are way too many bad landlords out there.

It was -9 degrees at my house this morning.  Landlords not providing adequate heat in those conditions should go to jail.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.