• Investor
  • Johns Creek, GA
Votes |
Setting up an escrow account for security deposit in GA

Kazi R.
  • Investor
  • Johns Creek, GA
Posted Feb 7 2015, 17:56

I need to open an escrow account to keep my tenants' security deposit. So far I have stopped by 2 different banks to inquire about escrow account, both of which told me that I could just set up a checking account for this purpose and call it an escrow account. What they weren't able to answer is this: can I open up an interest bearing savings account and call it an escrow account? Ideally I would like open an online savings account such as Barclays or Ally online saving account for this purpose.  I appreciate your input on this.

Georgia's law regarding security deposit is following:

What is the landlord required to do with the security deposit?

Under Georgia law, a landlord who owns more than ten (10) rental units, including units owned by their spouse and/or children, or who employs a management agent is required to place the security deposit in a bank escrow account, used only for security deposit funds. The landlord must give the tenant written notice of the location where the security deposit is held but is not required to disclose the account number. As a substitute for having an escrow account, the landlord may post a bond with the superior court clerk of the county in which the rental property is located. 

Loading replies...