What to wear when showing apartments for rent?

9 Replies

When I'm coming from my high school teacher job I look professional.

When I'm coming from wrestling practice I either look like a cripple or a badass.

When I'm coming from a renovation job I look like a scrub.

My rentals are class A. I don't mind looking professional or scrub-ly for them. I'm the saavy owner or the handyman owner.

When I show the class c properties I manage for my out of town investor, the "badass" look feels more comfortable. I often bring my sweetheart German shepherd along for those.

I would appreciate any feedback or advice.

Lol seem's like you've got it. Sounds good. Especially bringing the German Shepard along. 

If you feel like your look is not right, just say something like "Please excuse how I look. I just came from wrestling practice." Then show them the house. I don't think anyone is going to not rent from you because of it. 

@Max Tanenbaum  

I've shown units after a 20-mile run on a couple of occasions.   I warned the prospective tenants in advance that I was taking my group out for a long run before and if we had any laggards, I may not make it home and back before the showing.

I have even showered and changed in a vacant unit following a run before showing it.

Medium greenapartmenthires 1024x1024Roy N., Louer Louer Ltd. | 1.506.471.4126

Whatever you think works with the clients you're meeting. Here in southern California beach cities it's a much more casual atmosphere. They make jokes about Newport Beach and its blue jeans millionaires. You don't want to overdress and make clients feel uncomfortable, nor be so casual so that they think you don't give a rip. Of course, if you're coming off a construction job, just explain, it's totally acceptable. That's your business clothing that day. 

Medium house plansKaren Margrave, Parlay Investments | [email protected] | http://www.parlayinvestments.com | CA Contractor # 680782

I bring my French Bulldog along on plenty of showings. Always a better response with the dog than without. Dressing as the everyday man is always better than suit and tie. Be relatable. 

I live in the mountains and showing places in blue jeans and tennis shoes is completely normal. It would be overkill to dress up. But, that's us mountain folk. :)

90% of my life I am wearing work clothes.  Which usually works well for me being that I usually rent to working class tenants (and below).  I suppose it gives an impression of someone who is a bit more like them than the stereotype of super wealthy landlords that many tenants seem  to believe.  There has been more than one occasion that the tenants thought I worked for the landlord, probably due to young age and tattoos.  In my business, at the current time, I do not feel that it is a problem. 

When I am showing storage units on the other hand, I try (not always) to clean up a little better though.  I don't want people to think they are renting to a dirt ball.

I am very young (27) and look even younger. I wear professional clothes so I am taken seriously. I play the part :) I also rent class A properties.

Originally posted by @Joe Schwartzbauer :

I bring my French Bulldog along on plenty of showings. Always a better response with the dog than without. Dressing as the everyday man is always better than suit and tie. Be relatable. 

I agree, I always try to look put together, but not too formal. I want to come off as professional, but approachable.