Do I need a broker's license to manage my LLC's properties?

Do I need a broker's license to manage my LLC's properties?

Rental Property Investor · Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 3 votes

In NM, where I live, property managers have to have a broker's license. I assume this is not the case if you manage your own property. But what if I manage the property for the LLC that I am a member of?

Also, do I have to keep tenant security deposits and last month's rent in a separate trust account? Would the answer to this question change if I owned the condos in my own name?

Thanks.

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

As long as you are managing your own property you are good to go! When you operate others peoples property for profit you need a license ;) 

*no legal advise provided!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Clinton, MD · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    You don't need a brokers license to manage your own but if you want to manage others then you need to obtain a license.

  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    I need a license to manage an LLC's properties, even if I am a manager of that LLC?

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 386 posts · 218 votes
    11y
    You do not need a license if you are managing property you own. You need a license if you are doing third party management and not a salaried employee. I'm sure this is true in all states
  • Rental Property Investor · Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Let's say the LLC has revenue of 100k, and it pays me 10% to manage the properties. If I am a salaried employee, then the LLC pays 7.5% employment tax, and I pay another 7.5%. That's $1500 extra tax we pay, not including gross receipts tax. If I choose to get a realtors license instead, about how much would that cost me to acquire and maintain each year?

    If I choose not to do either, would it be easier for the veil of my LLC to be pierced, because I am managing the property myself, without hiring myself as a property manager?

    It looks like having the LLC is going to cost me thousands each year. Is it really worth it?

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    As long as you are managing your own property you are good to go! When you operate others peoples property for profit you need a license ;) 

    *no legal advise provided!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.