• Saint Louis, MO
Votes |
Help! I have a "High Maintenance" Tenant

Rick L.
  • Investor
  • Saint Louis, MO
Posted Feb 23 2015, 10:59

Background:

I have a tenant who has been renting for about 10 months.  She is a retired probation officer and currently works part-time with one of local city governments in the traffic court division.  When she first moved in she had a laundry list of items she wanted repaired.  For the first 2-3 months of her occupancy I received a weekly email asking for something new to be fixed/repairs/replaced, etc.  Granted, I'm on the high end as far as rent and amenities in the area...ie-stainless steel appliances, hardwood floors, granite countertops.

First, it was the tub reglaze paint was chipped and she felt it was a health hazard and would get in her "woman parts."  She asked that I reglaze the tub.  I denied her request to reglaze the tub.  

Then, she said the stainless steel oven stovetop was bent causing her gas burner to cook her food unevenly.  This was SUPER important since the beautiful kitchen was one of the main reasons she rented my unit and wanted it fixed because she cooks a lot.

Then the kitchen sink pull down/out faucet would toggle between a shower sray and stream spray. I replaced the whole faucet for her

Next, she wanted a laundry room washer drain stack installed (I've owned the building for two years and everyone just runs the washer drain hose to the drain in the floor).  She stated it was not in code to not have one. I denied her request stating I've passed multiple occupancy inspections and this has never been an issue.  The building is over 60 years old.

She pulled the ceiling fan chain out.  She wanted a brand new fan...my handyman replaced the broken chain.

Last month, she dropped a wine bottle on the kitchen tile floor damaging two tiles. She would like them replaced, but she takes responsibility.

She complained that I didn't have the snow removed quick enough last week citing in her lease that I'm responsible for it's removal.

Now I receive two separate email with the attached pictures. One of the plaster/drywall/skim coat cracking or falling off above the shower tile.  And another email requesting that I reglaze the tub...again citing health concerns due to the paint chips when she takes a bath.

She has literally almost had a maintenance concern almost every month.  She has access to lawyers doing her part-time work in the city courts.  How to our deal with her without going broke honoring all her repair request.  I pride myself on being a very responsive and great landlord, but at some point it's just a rental and an investment I intend to make money one.

Loading replies...