I hate tenant friendly states!

13 Replies

Can I tell you how much I hate tenant-friendly states? I have a property in North Carolina, Charlotte to be exact, that I purchased at the top of the market in 2006 and have had to rent for the last 5 years. I recently had to evict someone who left behind some, if not all, of his furniture and belongings after the writ of possession was executed. Now down here in Florida if there is anything left in the house after eviction you can put the stuff by the street immediately. In North Carolina, I have to give him time (7 or 10 days depending on who you ask) to come get it. 

The inconvenient part about that is that I don't have a property manager so have been self-managing thus far. Honestly I don't really want to go out of my way or lose any more money on this guy to hire someone to meet him at the house. I don't trust him so I don't want my family members meeting him at the house. He is threatening to hire a lawyer because I am making it hard for him to get his stuff back (out of spite for cheating me out of rent), but it is a civil matter and not a criminal matter so I am not too worried. I was sort of hoping to hold it hostage in hopes of getting some of the missed rent back, but that won't happen. 

Anyone in Charlotte deal with property left behind after eviction? Trying to figure out the best way to get rid of this crap the safest way possible and avoid committing any crimes at the same time. 

Be glad your property isn't in NJ...we have to hold it for 30 days! Although the first tenant we evicted agreed to sign a waiver saying that anything he left behind could be considered abandoned, and we had the right to put it out for garbage.

Sorry to hear! I did this twice, in NY. I know, its wasting some money, although you mentioned you can't trust him, with your family. (safety issues?) Its then would appear to be a lesser of two evils. (travel expenditures, security, etc...)

Ok, here it is, I placed all contents in "Storage" at a reputable establishment. They handled with my permission and proper ID, to let the renter move their things and couldn't use this against me at court, because I mailed a certified letter, explaining my actions.

I hope this idea helps. ( I explained that, I did not sell or steal contents and provided photos/video)

Good Luck.

Jerry 

is OHIO a tenant-friendly state?

Vermont is 60 days, and thats after the 4-6 month eviction process. Movers and a rented storage unit are the best way to CYA. 

It's stories like this that remind me why I am happy to pay 8% of collected rents for my out of area rentals,  The cost is cheap to not get late night phone calls, hassle with tenants or evictions....none in 11 years other than the first one I inherited .

If you live in a state like CA or other tenant friendly states where evictions are difficult you try to get the best tenants possible.  Who knows more about how to size up a tenant, you or a professional manager that gets paid to do that?  Owners buy into sob stories.  Seasoned professional managers do not.  

Most of my tenants are long term due to careful assessment by my managers and as anyone with rentals knows turnovers and evictions are very expensive.  I have spent more money on a single eviction than on a whole years management fee for the property.

@Martin Scherer

I was the worst landlord ever.. by the time the tenant got done whining to me I just let them stay for free and delivered food to them and helped with the kids clothing !.

last year in Kokomo I had a low end duplex that I let people live in for 3 months for free because it was record cold and they could not afford the electric bill.. and this was with professional management in place  LOL. then the buggers moved out right after the free 3 months... :)

Medium ksqoekox 400x400Jay Hinrichs, TurnKey-Reviews.com | Podcast Guest on Show #222

@Brandon M. I just heard a very smart seasoned professional speak. One of his mantras was to write a check and make the problem go away. He said throw pride and principals out the window. Though we all have a hard time doing that sometimes I believe he has it right. How much grief is this guy causing you? How much sleep are you losing. I know it sounds tough but just maybe you should "let them win" and be done. In the end you might be happier...but of course, I am not in your position..and not the one losing money. As far as landlord friendly states without a doubt I want to avoid places like CA, NY to name a couple.

No company avatar mediumJohn Thedford, John Thedford | 239‑200‑5600 | http://www.capehomebuyers.com

So If I wear dark enough glasses 

The place  looks empty so I can't see any stuff tenant left ,so nothing to store 

@Jay Hinrichs

I was a terrible landlord too and that is why I hired professionals.   Before I got smart I attracted the worst of the lot....professional tenants.  They asked me to wire a dryer for them. I told her no so she wired it herself and then called the city inspector telling them that it was there when she moved in.  She knew they would red tag the place and I couldn't collect rent from her or the other unit.  

Since she told him she got shocked, he inspected the units and decided to check if the second unit was legal.  Since the house and second unit were built before they had building permits (1950) he could find no record of a second unit.  Never mind that a permit was glued to the inside of the electric panel weather box.

$21,000 later they grandfathered the second unit.  She then went on a 3 week vacation and told me she didn't have any money left for rent.  When I tried to evict her she told the judge that we had split the electric bill between the 2 units......illegal in CA we found out so we had to reimburse her 14 months of utilities AND the judge decided to let her stay for 60 more days free.  Meanwhile she let the hot water run 24 hours a day so the back unit wouldn't have any hot water because the back unit was our witness in court.  The eviction attorney laughed when he heard her name it was his 4th time evicting her.

@Martin Scherer

its is for all these reasons that for me personally I only buy and sell notes  make commission selling homes or land... build new construction ... and fix and flip.

My days of land lording are coming to a fast close.

my next venture into landlording will be NNN type assets if I do it at all.

Medium ksqoekox 400x400Jay Hinrichs, TurnKey-Reviews.com | Podcast Guest on Show #222

Here in Milwaukee you hire one of two special moving companies. They have experience doing evictions.  On the form they ask if you want the tenant's stuff on the curb. This form is then faxed to the sheriff who is there to make sure the tenant gets out and keeps the peace.

Dawn Anastasi, Core Properties, LLC | http://www.coreprop.biz | Podcast Guest on Show #29

I like Missouri for landlords and foreclosures. Our sister state to the West, Kansas, is much tougher on landlords and more friendlier to tenants, in my opinion.

This is why landlord friendly states are a critical component to investing.

Here in GA you go to evict, they get a certain time to respond, court date is set, you get the writ, Marshalls office comes out for eviction and tells the crew you hire or if doing yourself where to put their stuff. This is usually just outside the unit or at the street.

Then everyone ( neighbors usually ) comes and takes the stuff and trash is left over if the tenants are not there when eviction happens. Most tenants here are conditioned on what will happen if they do not pay rent. It is a very fast process here.

I can't even imagine owning properties in those states where it takes 6 months to get them out. I guess higher end tenants and properties it would be less of an issue but larger properties in C to D areas in those states could be nightmares waiting that long to evict. 

Medium allworldrealtyJoel Owens, All World Realty | [email protected] | 678‑779‑2798 | http://www.AWcommercial.com | Podcast Guest on Show #47