Shower or Tub in 2BR/1BA rental

19 Replies

Shower or tub for a rental with 2BR/1BA?

Have a house in a fast appreciating area where most of the new renters usually are single or couple with no kids. Great area where the homes sold to are usually bought by couples with kids, however, this property is a buy and hold as we got it a good price and it rents fast. 

48" shower would allow us to expand the closet in the adjacent bedroom and I think give it a nicer look as we are doing the large subway style tiles. 

Shower or tub? Thoughts?

Tub. Even if you don't have many people with kids, some will have kids and will need a bathtub. Plus some adults like to have tubs too.

Stay traditional and go with a Tub.  Hopefully you get a couple that has a kid and can't afford a home and they are stuck renting from you for many years!

Good Luck!!

I'd definitely keep the tub. If I had to guess more people would be turned away by not having one than people would be cause there was one. 

@Kevin Polite

Stick with the tub. 

I have a house that the previous owner remodeled the bathroom and replaced the tub with a walk in shower.  It was an issue for quite a few potential renters.  I was surprised, but going forward I will always make sure each place has at least 1 tub.

Tub for sure!  You could stick an armoir in the bedroom if you want more closet space.

Tub.

'nuff said.

I think the general consensus here is a tub. Always a full tub if you have the space. 

If you go with a shower, you are pretty much eliminating all renters with infants.  Trying to bathe an infant in a shower is quite the feat.....

Thanks for the input from everyone! As much as I love going against the grain, I still not completely convinced (completely) not to.  I have several properties in this area and over the last 4 years have never had one rented by a family with kids, which is weird because even the 3/1's that are sold in this area are usually to a family with a kid or with expectations of having kids. My renters have been either roommates, couples or singles. The school districts aren't great in these areas, BUT it is 5-10 minutes from a very popular walkable area with restaurants/shops and has easy access to major employment areas and interstates.

I always try to think about resale....but if you are holding it for 30 years....that would not be much of a factor....

Originally posted by @Kevin Polite :

Shower or tub for a rental with 2BR/1BA?

Have a house in a fast appreciating area where most of the new renters usually are single or couple with no kids. Great area where the homes sold to are usually bought by couples with kids, however, this property is a buy and hold as we got it a good price and it rents fast. 

48" shower would allow us to expand the closet in the adjacent bedroom and I think give it a nicer look as we are doing the large subway style tiles. 

Shower !!!!!!!!!!

I say shower "Have a house in a fast appreciating area where most of the new renters usually are single or couple with no"

You identified your marketable group who are young and would appreciate closet space over a tub You would probably get more dollars for the closet via shower

Originally posted by @Kevin Polite :

Thanks for the input from everyone! As much as I love going against the grain, I still not completely convinced (completely) not to.  I have several properties in this area and over the last 4 years have never had one rented by a family with kids, which is weird because even the 3/1's that are sold in this area are usually to a family with a kid or with expectations of having kids. My renters have been either roommates, couples or singles. The school districts aren't great in these areas, BUT it is 5-10 minutes from a very popular walkable area with restaurants/shops and has easy access to major employment areas and interstates.

In your first post you said "it rents fast". It seems like you're trying to solve something that's not even a problem and may even be limiting your prospective tenants. 

@Chris K. when we purchased it 5 years ago we were just starting and slapped lipstick on it. Since that time n'hood has changed and I think we can get higher rent. Doing a tenant turnover.

@Steven Picker Thanks, we feel you can cast a wide net and get minnows are harpoon to get abigger fish. Not sure if that analogy works, but our target market rents from us bcause our homes don't look like every other one they've seen. We don't do beige. 

I tink we're going with the shower and will let ya'll know how it goes. Thanks for all the input!

@Kevin Polite when I first moved into the building I ended up managing (moved in first as a tenant), I was so sad the tiny studio didn't have a tub - but I loved the price and the location.

Fast forward, 2 years later, I was the resident manager.  None of the 26 units had a tub.  The owners had converted them all to showers only, to save on water and eliminate any tub overflow damage (which had happened).

I then managed the place for 8 years, showing the units mainly to single young people, or young couples.  Not ONE of them ever moaned the missing bathtubs.  Not one.

And my units with bigger closets (was a WWII conversion, with different units) were a huge hit.  Young people, in my experience - whether they're professionals or students, want showers and big closets.

So, my vote is to convert to a shower and a bigger closet.  I think you know your market.

Now, I can tell you that I ONLY look for places with tubs LOL.  I was 10 years without a bathtub, and couldn't wait to get a home with a tub.  But, hey, I'm an old lady :-)

BTW, I did rent to a couple with a young girl, around 3 years old.  They just took her into the shower with them.  And another young couple had a baby while in the building, until they bought a condo and moved out - and they just bathed the baby in the kitchen sink.

keep in mind tubs are cheap.  standup showers are more expensive.  crazy, right?

find another creative way to create storage space and just put in the tub.

For renting purposes, the shower/tub allows all of the people interested, whereas a shower lessens the people who will be interested.  If it is just a tub with no shower, then I would pay the price to add a shower enclosure around the tub.  I've done this on many of my units that had only a tub in the main bathroom.  Also, if you rent to tenants with pets, a tub is a must.  If you already have the tub, I personally would not remove it.  I have units with small closets and this has not caused a problem.  Tenants can always get a portable clothing cabinet or chifferobe to use.

Tub .... Now get rid of this post.

cleaning out email and ran across this post. Answer, as in most real estate questions is that, it depends. We went with shower and placed rented within a week by a single tenant moving from out-of-state to do a residency at Emory. She just renewed for year 2. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.