Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Anna Watkins
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Okaying long term guest w/o adding him to lease -- anyone have experience?

Anna Watkins
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Mar 29 2015, 18:14

The tenant in one of my houses (so far very responsible, pays on time) wants her boyfriend to be able to live with her for a while.  She volunteered the information, and he filled out a rental application, and I've run the background check -- he's approved to stay there.

Here's the question -- though the lease states that an additional adult should be added to the lease if approved, the tenant doesn't want her boyfriend on the lease.  I can understand -- it may be a temporary arrangement until he finds another place, or she may not want to be tied into living together by lease if things fall through.  The boyfriend has a fine background but awful credit anyway.  

I plan to write up an addendum to the tenant's lease confirming that the boyfriend has been approved by landlord as a long-term guest of the tenant, with legal responsibility to follow all the rules as outlined in the lease, but with no right to occupancy without consent of tenant or beyond the terms of the lease (runs through December).  Are there any other clauses/stipulations I should include?

I read through previous forum posts about similar situations. What is Tenancy at Will? Does anybody have a relevant addendum or other document to share?  Thanks!

Loading replies...