CA Smoke Detectors & Carbon Monoxide Rules Applicable

2 Replies

i'm finding it hard to keep abreast of the most recent interpretation of the ongoing CO and smoke alarm rules as applicable to all units in CA, whether owner occupied, multifamily, mixed used, commercial, etc.

my area is Los Angeles county mostly, and mostly signal hill and long beach cities.

i've heard a new set of rules applies July 2015. what's that about? does it apply to all units, or just units for which any work (ie, remodelling, permits, new construction, etc) has been done?

is there any case where 'old' smoke/CO alarms are still 'grandfathered'? are smoke/co alarms required to be hardwired into a central system already? 

is one CO alarm per floor (and per unit where unit dwellings present) of the building required?

does one have to be both inside and outside of each bedroom where there is 2 or more bedrooms or what?

Originally posted by Account Closed:

i'm finding it hard to keep abreast of the most recent interpretation of the ongoing CO and smoke alarm rules as applicable to all units in CA, whether owner occupied, multifamily, mixed used, commercial, etc.

my area is Los Angeles county mostly, and mostly signal hill and long beach cities.

i've heard a new set of rules applies July 2015. what's that about? does it apply to all units, or just units for which any work (ie, remodelling, permits, new construction, etc) has been done?

is there any case where 'old' smoke/CO alarms are still 'grandfathered'? are smoke/co alarms required to be hardwired into a central system already? 

is one CO alarm per floor (and per unit where unit dwellings present) of the building required?

does one have to be both inside and outside of each bedroom where there is 2 or more bedrooms or what?

Written by CA eviction attorney on the Apartment Owners Association of California website:

http://www.aoausa.com/magazine/?p=1834

If you join, they send you emails with any new law info, etc.

Thanks Sue!

http://osfm.fire.ca.gov/informationbulletin/pdf/20...

1. Existing installed operable/in working condition smoke alarms are NOT required to be replaced. 

2. For all dwelling units intended for human occupancy for which a building permit is issued on or after January 1, 2014, for alterations, repairs, or additions exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), the permit issuer shall not sign off on the completion of work until the permittee demonstrates that all smoke alarms required for the dwelling unit are devices approved and listed by OSFM. 

3. By January 1, 2016, owners of a dwelling unit intended for human occupancy in which one or more units is rented or leased shall install additional smoke alarms, as needed, to ensure that smoke alarms are located in compliance with current building standards. Existing alarms installed need not be replaced unless the alarm is inoperable.

http://www.casafehomes.org/ten-year-law-factsheet....

• Retailers have until July 1, 2015 to meet the requirement for stocking only sealed-in, long-life battery smoke alarms.'

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here