General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Devin Berrian
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poughkeepsie, NY
Votes |
Favorite flooring/carpet for apartments?

Devin Berrian
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poughkeepsie, NY
Posted Jul 9 2015, 11:35

Hey BP - 

I am soon to close on my first deal! It is a 2800 sf 2-family in the city of Poughkeepsie, NY.

There are certain parts of Poughkeepsie I never would have considered, but this is an improving street near the business section, and I feel really good about it. 

It is a 1910 Colonial with (2) 3-bedroom 1-bath units (and it came with 2 gorgeous clawfoot tubs!!!) 

Once I close, I will be taking my team of engineer, inspector, electrician, and designer to the property to help measure out rooms and develop a new floor plan. Most of the space is fine as-is, except one of the bedrooms is incredibly small and you have to walk through it to get to the other bedrooms, bathroom, and kitchen. NOT a great layout idea! We are going to be redoing the entire electrical, plumbing, and heating systems, so we aren't afraid to move some walls.

The hardwood in the living room and bedrooms looks good (isn't cupping or bowing) but I am not sure if I should spend the time sanding and sealing or if another solution is recommended. The kitchens currently have a cheap linoleum that may be usable but will probably be replaced, and the bathrooms have tile which can be patched in the necessary spots.

Has anyone found a durable and affordable carpet at Home Depot, Lowe's, or another home improvement store that you swear by for all your rentals?

Any feedback (on rehabbing, rentals, tenants, building materials, anything) is appreciated!!

So glad to finally be posting this. 

Thank you!

Loading replies...