Steel or fiberglass entry door for city rental property?

11 Replies

Hey BPeople. Finally closing on my 1910 duplex tomorrow in City of Poughkeepsie, NY. Not the worst street (by far) but still some shady looking pedestrians passing through. I'm at Lowe's wondering...do you pay the extra $500 for a stainless steel entry door? We have a back door to replace too. We have about a six month rehab coming up and plan to put "no copper on premises" signs up (thoughts?). 

Thanks. 

@Devin Berrian - Fiberglass or Steel isn't really the issue. The door jam is the weakest part of the door and will break first. If they are going to kick a door down its not going to matter what material its made of. Save yourself the $500 IMO.

There are tons of places in the Bronx (maybe something closer to you, I don't know) that make prefab steel entry doors mounted on steel frames. They're nothing too pretty, but sturdy, and you can paint them to look nice. You put those in with 6" lags, then pour concrete inside the jamb. They will not be breaking into your building, copper or not.

thanks! I am going to get one with a reinforced steel jamb. 

Originally posted by @Travis Lloyd :

There are tons of places in the Bronx (maybe something closer to you, I don't know) that make prefab steel entry doors mounted on steel frames. They're nothing too pretty, but sturdy, and you can paint them to look nice. You put those in with 6" lags, then pour concrete inside the jamb. They will not be breaking into your building, copper or not.

Travis - Thats a great approach. How do you protect the windows? Bars?

During construction? 3/4" plywood (one full sheet per window) inside the windows - bolted into the brick or screwed into the studs (depending on what you have). If you find you're building is of particular interest for the criminals - you can brace a 2x4 against the plywood at an angle and nail the other end to the floor.

I feel a thousand times better with this information. Thank you so much!

@Devin Berrian if you decide to make the trip - Supreme Fire-Proof Door Co is the best (391 Rider Ave). Everyone says Metalline is the best up on Park ave but they take longer, prices are higher, and they will nickel and dime you on all of the hardware. Supreme will get it all for one decent price.

And remember, if someone REALLY wants to get inside, they will. So keep a light on out front, visit somewhat regularly, and make yourself known to the neighbors. Visit on off hours (one morning, then an evening, then late at night, then mid day, etc) and make sure all of the neighbors like you (bring cupcakes) and have your cell phone (magnets keep them handy).

Thank you. Is the place you mentioned in NYC? We are about 90 min away from the city. 

There are always commercial steel doors .

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.