• Omaha, NE
Votes |
Tenants built a Deck

Anthony Gayden
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Posted Aug 7 2015, 10:03

Ok, this is one thing that I didn't expect. I have a 4 unit in Tucson, AZ under contract and had it inspected last Tuesday. The 4 plex is two separate duplex buildings on a single parcel. All of the units have their own private backyard with a privacy fence. I own and live in the identical 4 plex right next to this one.

Well one of the tenants in the building built a deck in the back yard. The literally just sat some wood directly on the ground. Below is the image from the inspection report.

I'm just wondering what other landlords would do in this situation? The termite inspection found minor termite damage, but none in this area, and I have a termite contract to spray my other buildings annually and will do the same for this building. Still I am worried that this could make matters worse.

The current owner told me that he became aware of the deck a few months ago, but since these are some of his best tenants who have lived in the unit for 5+ years, he lets them keep it, with the provision that they tear it down when they move out.

Has any other landlord had a similar issue?

Loading replies...