If you won't rent to a lawyer, would you rent to a cop?

42 Replies

I remember someone mentioned here that they would never rent to a lawyer for a variety of reasons.

I tried to search for that thread but no luck.

What about a cop, if you are concerned about a lawyer tenant would you have the same concerns for a cop?

@Sam Leon I would not have a problem renting to a cop I actually do have a state trooper as a tenant.  He even fixed a speeding ticket or me 😊

Originally posted by @Sam Leon :

I remember someone mentioned here that they would never rent to a lawyer for a variety of reasons.

What about a cop, if you are concerned about a lawyer tenant would you have the same concerns for a cop?

Yes I would rent to any law enforcement officer. Police, Sheriff's Deputies, Troopers, Corrections Officers, Federal Agents, etc. 

1. Cops are 99.9% of the time extremely law abiding, they would lose their job if they break the law

2. Cops have a steady paycheck. It is rare when someone who works for the government loses their job. Most cops are paid decently, and evictions, poor credit, etc, actually make it nearly impossible to get a law enforcement officer job

3. They are far more proactive in helping make sure the community is safe, and won't hesitate to call the authorities if something bad is going on. 

4. The grand majority of law enforcement are actually good people. These are the kind of people you want in your property.

5. If a law enforcement officer tried to pull off a scam like the lawyer did in that other thread, they would very likely lose their job. The reasoning is simple, a law enforcement officer is held to a higher standard of conduct than the public. Lying, cheating and scamming are 100% unacceptable.

By the way, I should mention, yes I do work in Law Enforcement, so I am a tad bit biased and insulted by anyone even questioning whether we would make good renters. When I rented my first place in Arizona, I merely told my landlord what I did for a living, and he didn't even do a background check on me. 3 years later, having never missed a rent payment, and leaving the apartment in fantastic condition, he sent me my security deposit back in full along with a letter of thanks for being a great tenant.

[email protected] | 402‑965‑1853

Originally posted by @Karen Bickford :

@Sam Leon I would not have a problem renting to a cop I actually do have a state trooper as a tenant.  He even fixed a speeding ticket or me 😊

Thats funny but I hope you're kidding!

i would have no problem renting to a cop . Actually if I could afford it I would knock 50$ off their rent, I have great respect for anyone law enforcement affiliated being a former military cop myself I know how hard of a job they have . And 99% of them are good people.

@Sam Leon I wouldn't rent to police (law enforcement) just like I won't rent to lawyers. Most are good but it's the one bad one that can really really hurt you. Cops have access to the legal system from the back side as well as code enforcement and fire department so while they are likely to be good characters if you get one that is not they can bankrupt you with little to none of their own money in the game. Not a good scenario IMO. 

I know I'll make some folks mad about this but it's not a risk I want in my business. There are lots of tenants in the world so I don't need to rent to law enforcement nor lawyers so I don't. It's probably not fair but it's legal.

There are numerous benefits to renting to a good cop. It really helps with crime in the area and they usually have steady employment but that doesn't out weight the worst downside for me.

Medium rre 1to1 small sizeBill S., Reliant Real Estate, Inc. | 720 207‑8190

@Sam Leon the older I get the more I realize how judging people on titles is silly. After spending some time in the military I know many police. I know several officers that are "bad people" and  some state police whom are "bad people." As well as some of the most loyal people I know are police...I believe it is all a case by case basis.

I would definitely rent to a police officer, trooper or sheriff.  Of course, similar to @Anthony Gayden , I come from a family with police officers (and I worked for the local PD in my younger days).

There is also another perk in addition to those Anthony listed:  Extra patrol.  We have a few in my neighborhood and all their co-workers know it so we often get a "show of colors" even though we are in a remote part of town with large lots.  

There are both good and bad people in any profession. The only think that should matter is that they can and will pay the rent.  To say they could ruin you with a lawsuit from a code violation is assinine. Anyone can do that and your property should meet code anyway. I guess inspectors, code enforcers and contractors should not be rented to as well?

i would gladly rent to law enforcement, military, fire fighters.

Lawyers ? Lol probably not. 

Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden :
Originally posted by @Sam Leon:

Yes I would rent to any law enforcement officer. Police, Sheriff's Deputies, Troopers, Corrections Officers, Federal Agents, etc. 

1. Cops are 99.9% of the time extremely law abiding, they would lose their job if they break the law...........

Lol yes the bias is definitely obvious. Alot of misinformation there. 

Originally posted by @Nick Britton :

@Sam Leon the older I get the more I realize how judging people on titles is silly. After spending some time in the military I know many police. I know several officers that are "bad people" and  some state police whom are "bad people." As well as some of the most loyal people I know are police...I believe it is all a case by case basis.

Exactly!! Anyone who thinks otherwise is pretty naive.

Originally posted by @Chris K. :
Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden:
Originally posted by @Sam Leon:

1. Cops are 99.9% of the time extremely law abiding, they would lose their job if they break the law...........

Lol yes the bias is definitely obvious. Alot of misinformation there. 

Do not bring your political views to this forum. I would appreciate having a place where I can discuss real estate free from that sort of thing.

[email protected] | 402‑965‑1853

Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden

Do not bring your political views to this forum. I would appreciate having a place where I can discuss real estate free from that sort of thing.

Umm you do realize i was just responding to comments YOU made right?  If youre going to share a biased  (you even said so yourself) opinion dont get mad if someone disagrees.

I will not rent to lawyers or legal aide workers. I have never, to my knowledge, had a lawyer request a showing for one of my homes. I did have a legal aide worker (I believe he was a law student) do so once. I told him I do not rent to lawyers while doing my preliminary inquiries for the showing. He became irate, told me that was illegal, and nearly threatened to sue me less than 5 minutes into a phone call. I explained that lawyers were not a protected class. He then demanded a showing and I refused saying it was obvious we would not be compatible. He validated that my policy was a good one.

I have never had a cop apply either but I would refuse to rent to them also. I had a cop living next door to one of my rentals for a while. She threw loud parties and had large dogs which she kept unchained outside and which barked loudly at all hours. She was rude, acted as if she was above the law and, for all practical purposes, she was. My tenants complained about her (this house was within 1/2 a mile from the police station) and the police never did a thing. When she moved out of that house she left an abandoned car and moved a lot of trash onto my side. I had to pay to get rid of it. I lost a good tenant because of her. I can only imagine what would have happened had she been my tenant.

I am not saying that all lawyers or cops would be bad tenants. I am saying that the potential damage from a bad tenant who knows the system from the inside and takes advantage of the system is much greater than the potential damage from most other tenants who would pass my screens. To me, the risk is not worth it.

I'd like that perk :-)

Kudos,

Mary

He broke the law to help you. He may one day break the law to harm you. Good luck.

I deffinitely would.  In my city, Police officers, Fire fighters, Teachers, etc can buy a house for 50% off (first time home buyers), I think the reasoning behind it is, these people seem to bring neighborhoods up in aesthetics and value.

Originally posted by @Sam Leon :

Usually I see landlord advertisements offering law enforcement, military discounts on rent(cars etc) - in Philly and the DMV to list a few. It may be for the 1st month, 6 months or for the term of the lease. On the good side they'd offer an additional sense of security on the premises. Yet on the bad side they have the law on their side and if they wanted to they could make life quite hard for any opposers. Yet I don't think it would be as risque to have a cop as a tenant compared to a lawyer,imo. Yet don't go strictly by the title of employment, do the background checks and credit checks just as you would any other applicant. Someone had a post on here where they are stuck with a non-paying tenant that lost their law license before due to criminal negligence and that warning went unheeded so now the landlord is paying the price. Be vigilant. My coin.

Kudos,

Mary 

Hmm I have rented to several law enforcement officers.  Most were OK, one was pretty dirty and needed to learn how to clean.  To be fair his wife had left him and imagine she did most of the cleaning.  I am very pro law enforcement, but I wouldn't go out of my way to rent to a police officer.  They were OK tenants but not great.  I probably would rent to a lawyer, but it would depend on the lawyer.

Would any of you who would not rent to a lawyer rent to a lawyer who was a volunteer firefighter of many years?

I don't rent to lawyers. I attended a class where an attorney was the speaker. He told the class never rent to lawyer. We all laughed. A short while later, I get a request to view a house. Potential applicant states he just moved here for his job. I inquire and he states he is an attorney. I emailed the one that taught the class asking if he was serious in his remarks. He stated via email: "NEVER rent to attorneys. They are bad news. The will turn things around on you". I took his advice. In fact, I had another person inquire about renting a unit. They had a unique name that matched that of an attorney in Ft Myers. I inquired if they were related and they stated they were his daughter. I didn't offer them the unit as well. Attorneys earned their reputation. The 99% give the 1% (the honest ones) a bad reputation:)  As far as renting to cops, I have one in one of my units. He is really nice, pays on time, causes no problems, and has been a perfect tenant. Though I generally won't make decisions on someone due to their title, attorneys are the exception. NO THANKS! Cops are on a case by case basis:)

No company avatar mediumJohn Thedford, John Thedford | 239‑200‑5600 | http://www.capehomebuyers.com | FL Agent # BK3098153

Originally posted by @Bill S. :

@Sam Leon I wouldn't rent to police (law enforcement) just like I won't rent to lawyers. Most are good but it's the one bad one that can really really hurt you. Cops have access to the legal system from the back side as well as code enforcement and fire department so while they are likely to be good characters if you get one that is not they can bankrupt you with little to none of their own money in the game. Not a good scenario IMO. 

I know I'll make some folks mad about this but it's not a risk I want in my business. There are lots of tenants in the world so I don't need to rent to law enforcement nor lawyers so I don't. It's probably not fair but it's legal.

There are numerous benefits to renting to a good cop. It really helps with crime in the area and they usually have steady employment but that doesn't out weight the worst downside for me.

I assume you would have no problem with them risking their lives for you though...if say you were being assaulted or robbed.  Doubtless, you'd find them trustworthy enough for that...

I also just had a tenant vacate that is an attorney. They were with me for 2 yrs and were never a problem. I don't understand how it could possibly be a problem to have an attorney for a tenant...unless perhaps I was doing something wrong.

Though it may be legal to discriminate against people based on their vocation, it seems a very short-sighted and  poor business practice. Why would any business want to narrow its customer pool?  

Gee Karen, he might not appreciate having that posted on the Internet... I know how you meant it but that may not be the best testimony to his honesty. Sorry...

Simply put, I would screen a potential law enforcement tenant just like I would any other applicant. If qualified i would have absolutely no trouble at all renting to a police officer.

Medium rzt hc 6483Michael Noto, SalCal Real Estate Connections | [email protected] | 860‑384‑7570 | https://www.zillow.com/profile/Mike-Noto/ | CT Agent # RES.0799665

Originally posted by @John Thedford :

I don't rent to lawyers. I attended a class where an attorney was the speaker. He told the class never rent to lawyer. We all laughed. A short while later, I get a request to view a house. Potential applicant states he just moved here for his job. I inquire and he states he is an attorney. I emailed the one that taught the class asking if he was serious in his remarks. He stated via email: "NEVER rent to attorneys. They are bad news. The will turn things around on you". I took his advice. In fact, I had another person inquire about renting a unit. They had a unique name that matched that of an attorney in Ft Myers. I inquired if they were related and they stated they were his daughter. I didn't offer them the unit as well. Attorneys earned their reputation. The 99% give the 1% (the honest ones) a bad reputation:)  As far as renting to cops, I have one in one of my units. He is really nice, pays on time, causes no problems, and has been a perfect tenant. Though I generally won't make decisions on someone due to their title, attorneys are the exception. NO THANKS! Cops are on a case by case basis:)

Right, because making sweeping generalizations about a profession based on a few bad interactions concerning random civil matters that have absolutely nothing to do with a perosn's ability to pay rent is both wise and fair. Attorneys will hold you accountable for violations of the law, so what? If a landlord cannot follow the law or pay for a proper lease, maybe they shouldn't be in the business.